Random Map Generator

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
Gurduloo

Random Map Generator

Post by Gurduloo »

I sure would love a random map generator. I'm thinking something similar to Age of Empires, where you specify a general land type (islands, desert, rivers) and a size and maybe some other parameters like relative starting positions. Is anyone working on something like this? I think it would really imporove the replayability of this game.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Random Map Generator

Post by Donkyhotay »

Gurduloo wrote:I sure would love a random map generator. I'm thinking something similar to Age of Empires, where you specify a general land type (islands, desert, rivers) and a size and maybe some other parameters like relative starting positions. Is anyone working on something like this? I think it would really imporove the replayability of this game.
Thats a pretty good idea, with automatic file sharing already built in it shouldn't be too hard to do, just have a .cpp file that builds a random map and then saves it into the maps direct as randommap or something like that and the it just loads it up. The main thing would be to make certain it wasn't completely random and created random patches of land, water, resources, in order to avoid the problem of having single bits of map scattered all over the place.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

I feel kind of dumb

Post by Donkyhotay »

I was reading through the map editors source code wondering how difficult it would be to add a random map generator when I found that there already IS a random map generator built into the game thats accessed from the in-game map editor. For as much as I've been playing I had never actually looked at the map editor because the in-game maps are fine for me. That makes things a little easier, just have a checkbox in the host screen that when checked quickly references the mapgenerator, creates a random map, saves it as "random map" and then treats it as a regular map from that point forward.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

random maps

Post by Giszmo »

hi u 2

Random map generation is in since a very long time and those newest mapgenerators got in in january this year by me. Unfortunately there are still things missing but as i have a 45h job now, i rarely get to glob2 at all so i stopped developement.

This map generator as is fits only as a start for new maps as it places no stone and places teams very unfairly. also the resource placement algorythm is somewhat unpredictable in its result and may give wood to the one player and wheat to the other.

but if you want to touch this code feel free to. i have the ideas but not the time so ask me. i can point you to the right lines.

greetings, giszmo
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

I may take a look through the map generator and see what I can do. If the random map generator isn't complete then having an insta-map option when hosting multiplayer games wouldn't work. I was thinking the random map system was complete for creating maps within the editor and from there it would a small step to have a insta-map option.