A Mirrage of Wheat

Post your maps and campaigns for others to play and enjoy. Add a poll to your thread to see which of your maps is most popular. Try to keep all your own content in one thread please.
Tyrone_man

A Mirrage of Wheat

Post by Tyrone_man »

Hey all, just had a spin in the level ed, and put together a 'modal' 5 player map. It's called 'A Mirrage of Wheat'.
The level makes judicious use of no-grow zones to shape the playing field, plus its very symmetric and fair to everyone (unless you're player 5, as red).

Basically, you have 4 underprivileged start locations, 2 by 2, with wooded passage connecting them together. On the other side of the map, there is a bridge of sorts with huge amounts of resources, but its guarded by the 5th player (or no one, if you only play 4 or less). The way its set up, everyone will quickly need to expand outwards to be able to survive, and also gather hidden fruit in order to not be converted by the 5th player (who has ample fruit).

If you have 4 or fewer players, the center becomes hotly contested, as it is shaped to be a strong defensive location. If you get a foothold, the tide can turn quickly, however there is a catch. If you shift your attention to the center field, an opponent could tunnel through a patch of trees and get you from behind.

Lemme know what you think.
Kobuta
Explorer
Explorer

Re: A Mirrage of Wheat

Post by Kobuta »

sounds cool :)

have you uploaded it online?

I wanna try being player 5 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

Sounds very cool, I'll add to my todo map list something in this type :) I am sure that balancing this will be hard, and I think that here very useful would be my cliffes which hasn't been done yet :(.

This map would be also very practical, playable 1v1, 2v2, 2v2v1, 2v1 :)

regards
Zenfur

edit: Map done - named Senequia
Greetings!! ت
Tyrone_man

Post by Tyrone_man »

Yea, the map is uploaded.

I also made up another map, 1 + 3 High Seas, and 1 Vs 3 High Seas and Treasure Island.

Its a very interesting setup, sorta like the last one. The difference is, there is a divide in the map, at the middle (sorta), with two entrances, each being defensible from one side. You can set up towers to make passage difficult. Otherwise, the 3 players are in a pretty balanced situation, where the other player can possibly act as a guardian. In Treasure Island mode, there is a maze that leads to a very rich island within, and it is almost impossible to gain access except for the beginning of the game, as its entrance is sprinkled with trees that eventually close it off. The first three players are also walled in together by trees, but for the north coast.

This is a much more versatile level I think, allowing for both 3 way and 3 vs 1, or 4 way rush.
Tyrone_man

Post by Tyrone_man »

I would also like to add, that in Mirrage of wheat, it is possible for player 5 to lose by stalemate. Sounds odd, however, he is liable to amass huge numbers of workers, and they will at some point sap all of his (extensive) resources, at which time his whole tribe will starve. Player 5 has to be quick to act, or just wall himself in VERY well. Either way, there are plenty of possibilities with that map, its very tippy. There is also a sort of 'secret' passage set up. Its not really a passage, but its convenient if you know where 'it' is. Makes maintenance of certain details cheaper.
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

First: You should set topic "maps by tyrone" or sth :)
Second: I may help you with balancing the map and whatever you need.
Third: Edit option!!
Fourth: I have to try them!!! :D
@edit:Fifth: I already tried them, I don't think that they are balanced (attending to living space/wood/wheat), they should be MUCH smaller, you forgot about one thing about I used to forget in my first maps: space for buildings. (look at> fallen star) I think it would be fine map for campaign or what (this labirynth with treasure island), but not for online playing :(
You should work at it or remake it; in one line:
Idea superb, realization poor.
@@edit: Sixth: I've already made map which I find suiting to your description, called it Senequia, I'll upload it. Playable:
1v1v2 b v g v r+s
1v1v1v1 b v g v r v s
4v1 b + r + y + g v p (hardcore for p)
2v2 r + b v g + y
2v2v1 p v r+b v y+g
1v1 r v y or g v b
Legend : g- green b - blue r- red y - yellow p- purple v - versus
I know that maps should be small (to finish before yog crash :P) my map is 128x128
Eighth: On your second map I didn't find anywhere algaes...
Good luck with making more maps

By the way... should I divide my "maps by zenfur" for many topics, each map in other? or at least 2 player maps/ 4 player maps / 6 player maps/ X player maps?
send me private message if ya want.
Greetings!! ت
Tyrone_man

Post by Tyrone_man »

Yea, I made a 1.1 version of Mirrage of Wheat. Note that building space is constrained for the center field on purpose, and I made it a point to strain resources for the 4 teams as they need to move closer. Much of the ballance is better off in 1.1. As for treasure map, I also found that I had forgotten algae. I will do some more testing/editing on it first. However, I have found that it works out great with a bunch of ai. You have to hop from island to island building outposts to supply your forces, or else its restrictive. Perhaps I should have called it tug of war?

Let me know when is a good time to get on Yog, so we can test and refine them.
Kobuta
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kobuta »

a good time for YOG?
where are you in the world?
I usually connect at 11 PM Japanese time :twisted: :twisted:
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

I usually get on YOG 16:00 -- 20:00 CET (sometimes longer)
Greetings!! ت