less agressive fog of war

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
Ogorter
Worker
Worker

less agressive fog of war

Post by Ogorter »

The current fog of war is pretty aggressively falling back, even between some groups of buildings you could still have some fog of war.

meaning that you captured an island, populated it with some buildings and workers and warriors, and still enemy globs can walk right through and hardly get spotted.

My suggestion is that globs can see a little further.

Buildings also prevent fog of war and also a little further then today.

But lastly, if you have a group of globs or buildings, then they prevent fog of war even further. Maybe especially for the space in between ...
AppleBoy
Site Admin

Post by AppleBoy »

I definitely agree with that.
Maybe that could be a thing with the schools? as they advance, they can see further?
same with buildings, when you upgrade them, the radius around them grows.
Joey101
Worker
Worker

Post by Joey101 »

What about defenc towers?

I often use them for seeing lots of area :)
Andrew sayers

Post by Andrew sayers »

Some of those things aren't easy to change, but you can change the distance that buildings see by editing data/buildings.txt and data/buildings.default.txt in the main glob2 directory - if you find some values for viewingRange that work both in single- and mult-player games, I suggest you submit a patch. I'd certainly like to see unit vision be put in a config file in the 1.1 branch, but I don't know enough about the unit code to say what the issues are there.

In defence of the current system, it encourages you to put defence towers around the edge of your base, which is quite a good strategy. Also, defence towers in particular shouldn't have their range of vision extended by proximity, as that would encourage you to think they could shoot further than they actually can.

- Andrew
Skasi
Worker
Worker

Post by Skasi »

well.. I think the idea, that the sight-range is low, is good!
cause this allows more strategy..

If you want a 99% seen base, you should put one or more flags into your base and set their range high ;)

or you build towers, yeah... ^^
Nuage
Worker
Worker

Post by Nuage »

Sorry, but for now I think that a building is meant for its use (for instance Inns to food units), and towers are meant to see and defend. So build towers if you want to see your base. Unless you see other gameplay points.