Simple changes that might deepen strategy

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

Giszmo wrote:me? working on anything? I'd be happy if i could. It's saturday and I'm at work since 7 houres.

Unfortunately I can not do much more than advertise new players and programmers and participate at the ml.

Giszmo

I thought you were the one working on the improved market?
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

As far as the towers being effective against warriors: I haven't upgraded in a bit so I may be missing that patch

What is magic attack? Is that the explorers attack?

Also you said Gizmo is working on the improved market? do you mean a warehouse like market?
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

NoSpin wrote:As far as the towers being effective against warriors: I haven't upgraded in a bit so I may be missing that patch

What is magic attack? Is that the explorers attack?

Also you said Gizmo is working on the improved market? do you mean a warehouse like market?
Yes, the explorer attack is the magic attack (thats what it's called in the code at least). Anyways, I've been doing alot of different variations on explorers vs. warriors vs. towers using the latest CVS version. Towers slow up and damage warriors but ultimately warriors will win (unless you do something stupid like sending a lone warrior against a tower or something). Explorers get completely hosed by towers (honestly they're almost not worth researching now) however they are good at destroying buildings and workers (can't get past a warriors armor to hit them though). I've tweaked the code a bit and am testing a version where explorer attacks don't affect buildings but ignore all armor. I was looking at increasing the ground attack damage but with the splash damage it's pretty powerful as it is. Currently warriors have 250HP and explorers do 8 damage to ground units per attack. This means a warrior will die in 32 hits however because of the AoE if you have 20 explorers buzzing around they all need to attack just a few times and the entire army of warriors get toasted. If you also have a group of warriors being sent in at the same time the enemy army will be stuck fighting your warriors while getting pounded by the explorers. Yet when you reach the base the explorers will simply die because of the turrets so you can't send them in until after the warriors take them out. I mean a level1 tower does (30 - armor) damage and since explorers have only 50HP and no armor they get wiped out in only a few hits. By the time you get to a level3 turret your doing (50 - armor) damage and all those pretty explorer are toast. Currently though turrets give a higher priority to killing warriors and I think this should be changed since with this change a turrets first purpose is killing explorers and the second is helping to kill warriors. With my proposed change explorers go from something that kills buildings/workers to keep the enemy from teching up (which is what they became before towers could hit them) to a support unit that helps your warrior army defeat the enemy. I'll play around with it a bit more but I think I'll probably upload this change onto CVS.
Last edited by Donkyhotay on Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

NoSpin wrote:Also you said Gizmo is working on the improved market? do you mean a warehouse like market?
No. That's Genixpro
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

Oops, sorry 'bout that.
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

But is that person making it like a warehouse?
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

My understanding is someone is working on making the market to be a global storage container for all resources (not just fruit). I'm not 100% certain who is working on it though.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

BTW I did upload my changes onto CVS. Magic attacks now go through armor but are incapable of damaging buildings. Towers now target explorers first, then warriors, then workers, then buildings.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

GenixPro already turned markets into a storage. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

From my point of view what is missing is automatism so the player doesn't need to switch each market to import or export this and that.
Market has to be for all ressources.
Limits have to be for the sum of all ressources and not per ressource.
Workers assigned to a market schould work for *the* market as a whole so 50 globs might be importing wheat to one market near wheat.

=> see the other topic
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

Giszmo wrote:GenixPro already turned markets into a storage. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

From my point of view what is missing is automatism so the player doesn't need to switch each market to import or export this and that.
Market has to be for all ressources.
Limits have to be for the sum of all ressources and not per ressource.
Workers assigned to a market schould work for *the* market as a whole so 50 globs might be importing wheat to one market near wheat.

=> see the other topic
Yes this should go under the other thread but I disagree that limits should be for the sum of all resources. I think the limit should be per resource otherwise the market would get full of one particular resource you may not need and not have room for other stuff. Admittedly it would be nice if incoming/outgoing was automated but it would be a little bit tricky to implement and I don't know if it would be really worth it. Making the market work for ALL resources I do consider mandatory.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

If the game decides to stock the wrong ressource, i agree it is a bad idea to have one stock for all. but we should try hard to make it work with one stock for all.

An example of a concept: always keep 5 of each ressource in the market. increase that by 5 for the ressource that runs low/out. if the total stock is reached, increase of one ressource results in decrease of all the others first.
This concept would regulate the amount of ressources. if inns are all near wheat, one would want to disable markets trading wheat. but i guess if the markets work the way i think they could, one would only try to minimize the distances ressource-market and building-market. so one market at every ressource and one at every village center.
As this would be a massive change to how glob2 works now i think that maybe trollies would be better than magic transport. markets can produce these trollies for a small amount of resources and when transport is needed from one market to the other, the source market packs a trolly with say 50 (L2: 100, L3: 200) ressouces in a mix needed at the destination market.

... to be continued. got to go ...
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

I think it would be much easier and simpler to just have a set global limit for each particular kind of resource. Sometimes when the game makes decisions for you it does thinks you don't want. With some things you just accept it as part of the game (like a glob stops doing something to go and build your building when you would have preferred that OTHER glob to stop what he was doing instead). But with something like this it could affect a huge part of the way the game turns out. It may be that the player wants to stock up on wheat in order to be able to spam out a ton of units later in the game. But if your close to wheat and "don't need it" by the games standards then it's going to try to stock you up on wood or something which you may technically need now but it's not what you want to stock up on. I do agree making the import/export automated would be great however I think I would make it be good to also have it as an option. When a market is placed by default it automatically is put on automatic but if for some reason you want to save up on a resource for some reason it would be best to have an override option where you can either force it to save/use a resource.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

yes people might want to be able to adjust things if things are going wrong. i'm pretty sure it would be possible to model stocks so they fit well to otimize transport. no more and no less. i wouldn't allow people to use it as a stock for times of shortage so stocks have to be highest on the ressources that are fetched from the markets the most. no holding back. minimize micromanagement.

greetings, giszmo
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

Well, if you can implement it go ahead and let people try it.
Einarin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Einarin »

Don't forget that towers have to be resupplied with stone to continuously attack, while a warrior can keep fighting until his hunger level gets too high. What if instead of decreasing health you decreased the maximum ammo, meaning that the tower's supplies get depleted more rapidly? A tower that can't attack won't stop any warriors or explorers.