should default war flag settings be changed?

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

should default war flag settings be changed?

Post by Donkyhotay »

By default when a war flag is placed it will only assign one warrior to it. In general though you usually want a huge group of warrior to attack when placing one of these flags. This is *one* of the reasons I know many people simply use guard zones to attack. Wouldn't it be better though if the default war flag pulled 20 warriors (max) unless specified otherwise? I don't think this change would be too hard to do (just tweak the default variables) but should it be done. Personally I think it would make war flags more useful but I don't want to just make a more personal change and upload it onto CVS as there may be a valid reason for keeping the current settings.
[anonymized]
Worker
Worker

Post by [anonymized] »

Maybe not 20 warriors, but I'd like either being asked or the maximum number of warriors available at the time of the warflag creation (as long as it's 1 or more available).
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

why not store some prototype data for each kind of flag so that new flags of the same kind get initialized with that prototype whereas the prototype gets updated when you change a flag.

clearing-flags: i always have to make them clear wood only, 3 workers, smaller size. Once done i want new clearing flags to be the same.

i will modifie in cvs if i find the time to tomorrow. or donkey you do it.
dare to modifie things, announce what you've done and be prepared to change it back in no time if it's not desired (i wouldn't want all warflags to call for 20 L1 Warriors but nobody kills you and maybe it's not that bad)
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

war flag setting file

Post by Donkyhotay »

Ok I'm back, once I had a chance to actually look at the code to customize the warflag settings I found that this has already been set up within the buildings.txt file within the data directory. Simply modify the maxUnitWorking line under *warflag to whatever you want (I set it for 10). This can be done for any building/flag/zone. I did go ahead and update the file in CVS since I think most people would prefer the change. Although this is pretty easy to do it brings up another point. I think there should be an "advanced" section within the settings menu to allow people to modify these in-game. It might also be rewritten to allow people to customize their own hotkeys.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

i hope this change is only temporary

Post by Giszmo »

as mentioned before i strongly suggest to implement a solution without some advanced settings thing as this makes it more complicated than needed.

i believe it comes more natural if settings are stored as default every time i change them for an item.

so if i change the proportions of units produced in one swarm to 1/1/3 the next swarm i produce will start with 1/1/3 as this is the proportion i'd most likely want. same with most other params up to upgrading. if i upgrade a school most likely i will want to upgrade next schools i produce, too. if i cancel an occuring upgrade that i dont want i will most likely not want schools to upgrade automatically ...

greetings
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Re: i hope this change is only temporary

Post by Donkyhotay »

Giszmo wrote:as mentioned before i strongly suggest to implement a solution without some advanced settings thing as this makes it more complicated than needed.

i believe it comes more natural if settings are stored as default every time i change them for an item.

so if i change the proportions of units produced in one swarm to 1/1/3 the next swarm i produce will start with 1/1/3 as this is the proportion i'd most likely want. same with most other params up to upgrading. if i upgrade a school most likely i will want to upgrade next schools i produce, too. if i cancel an occuring upgrade that i dont want i will most likely not want schools to upgrade automatically ...

greetings
It would need a revamp of the way the system works. As I mentioned previously currently glob2 really pays no attention to assignment changes (at least for building new structures) and pulls all the data up out of the building.txt file and assignes it to maxUnitWorkingLocal variable. We would need to create some new variables and store them within the global container that would keep track of the most recent setting changes for every single building/flag. While probably easier then having an "advanced" setting menu it would also pave the way for customizable hotkeys (something I would like to added into the game) as well as being able to customize that "first" building. Actually it would probably best to implement BOTH options for maximum custimization. It also might be a good idea that "remembering" the last building setting to be a toggle as people might not always want to have a specific building have the same option as the last one.
Coch
Worker
Worker

Post by Coch »

Maybe an average value? The simplest one being updated for a class of objects each time I make a modification to the worker assignment on one of the object belonging to that class.
A more comprehensive one would be instead a weighted mean computed on the base of # of workers assigned per time unit (so that a modification of assignment lasting a shorter time would weigh less), this however could place a bit more overhead on the game engine.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

CVS updated

Post by Donkyhotay »

Actually as of the latest CVS version the flags have been changed so users can modify the default settings within the settings menu itself.
Tfry
Worker
Worker

Post by Tfry »

As a slightly different suggestion: Maybe make the flag selected immediately after creating it? Then you'd be able to set the number very quickly with the mouse wheel. On the downside, this would make it more tedious to create several flags in a row, but maybe it's a reasonable trade-off.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

As mentioned, this is all irrelevant as the default values can be changed for all buildings/flags on solo only games as of 0.8.21 and the latest CVS version is capable of changing the values for LAN/internet games without crashing.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.