Full Control

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Full Control

Post by NoSpin »

I understand that you wanted this game to remove all micromanagement. I am going to make suggestion that some of you are not going to like, but I believe it still stays within your original goal. Allow users to fully control the units, or manually assign them to a particular job. If we need to make sure a building gets done asap, then we can grab a worker and tell him to get on it. This will solve alot of problems, allow users to understand the game better, and also understand problems facing their city better.

This still keeps the no micromanagement goal alive because, lets face it, it is too much work to control this empire by manually assigning each unit. A player would be unable to do this except at very early stages. Plus at early stages it makes sense to allow them to control each unit anyway. Lets say any order given is followed for five minutes then forgotten about. This way everything will return to normal after the orders stop coming.

By doing this, players will get a better idea of how long units can go with out food and far they are traveling for resources. This will also handle the priority problem. Priority is a huge problem that everyone has seen. It requires too much micromanagement to adjust the number of workers on every building just to make sure there is enough workers to build a priority building. Also often when there is enough workers for everything certain jobs get ignored because either they are too far away or because the workers with sufficient training are doing something else.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Full Control

Post by Donkyhotay »

I don't see this happening. Goes against the concept of the game and wouldn't really teach people anything. A large portion of the game is handling how units behave on their own despite whatever commands you give them. Globs have the own 'mind' and while they will usually obey you they will sometimes rebel (especially if you don't treat them right). Thats just part of the game and something I really like about it.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

Donkyhotay wrote:I don't see this happening. Goes against the concept of the game and wouldn't really teach people anything. A large portion of the game is handling how units behave on their own despite whatever commands you give them. Globs have the own 'mind' and while they will usually obey you they will sometimes rebel (especially if you don't treat them right). Thats just part of the game and something I really like about it.
Yes, I don't like the idea of controlling all of the units, but controlling one or two would be good.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

hi

i don't like what bradley did for beta4 but it is a priority control so you can set low medium or high priority to single buildings where all high prio buildings get workers first, then the med then the low prios.

my idea is to make the worker count more into a kind of priority control such that the priority to get the next worker is a function of assigned number and units working in a way that units will take jobs instead of idling if not enough jobs are assigned. such that units will prefere to train rather than to harvest if the school has a higher priority than the inn. such that setting all priorities to 20 makes no difference to setting all priorities to 1.

a function that guarantees units to be assigned at some point in time would be to assign a priority to each building that rises over time by a number free to be set between 1..21. so setting this number to 5 would mean this task will have 50 points after 10 timesteps. the top score task can choose a worker and looses all points. this way the higher the priority the more often a building gets first pick workers. basically 5 will be top choice 5 times as often than 1 so maybe the setter should not be 1..20 but rather 5..25 so you get at max 5 times the workers for one job than for the other. modifications to cope with buildings constantly needing many workers would be to not decrease the score to 0 but to the percentage the task in progress is done. so a swarm getting a worker while having 15/20 wheat would loose 15/20=3/4 of its score.

Greetings, Giszmo
quinnteh
Explorer
Explorer

Post by quinnteh »

I think what he meant is, the units will still have their 'default' behaviour based on the tasks assigned, like it currently is, but if you click on a unit you can issue an order that will override the default behaviour until the manually assigned task is fulfilled. Is this what you meant?
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

yeah. Thats sounds great. Thanks for the translation too.
chrismcb

Post by chrismcb »

interesting, however if you do this too much, would the overridden (default) tasks be picked up if necessary?

Ex. (possibly an extreme case)
globs are getting food for an inn. you manually tell them to build to build a racetrack on the other side of the map. the problem is though, that that inn that just lost all of its workers to build the racetrack is your ONLY inn. when it starts running low on food, would globs pick up the loose ends, even though the jobs are assigned, or would the inn run out of food and everyone die.

my proposition: other globs would pick up the loose ends, and when the globs are done building the racetrack they get new default jobs.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

the coders of glob2 spent some thoughts on what should have higher and what should have lower prio. inns have high if not highes prio for exactly that reason. if now people want to override this i would wonder if anybody would code an override to the override. top priority will be more than inn medium prio.

greetings,

giszmo