Salt

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Salt

Post by NoSpin »

Clearing areas is very difficult especially when workers few workers are assigned. Salt I understand kills off grass, it would be useful if the workers did something like laying down salt after clearing to slow down regrowth. Adding code that, for example, would prevent anything from growing back for five minutes after clearing the area. I wouldn't make it too long, though, sometimes I clear trees away so that wheat can grow there instead. What do you think?
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Salt

Post by Donkyhotay »

There has been talk in the forums of creating 'roads' where you can build something something that allows units to walk over them but things do not grow back.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

basically that's my paving area. i would not use the salt for all clearing as like you mentioned clearing could also mean to want to grow another resource there.

see http://globulation2.org/wiki/Wishlist#Paving_Areas for details

Greetings, Giszmo
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

Quick question. Will enemy units auto attack paved areas when they are nearby?

If they do not, how do you remove pavement that your enemy laid down?
K776
Warrior
Warrior

Post by K776 »

It's not implemented yet. These types of details would probably be worked out eventually if this idea goes ahead.

The problem as you stated is they can't be removed easily. If your units attack the ground, instead of enemy units, its a big problem.

I guess a system where you have to maintain a close proximity to the road or it wears out might be useful. That way if you fight them back, they're paved areas fade away for you to replace with your own.

What do you think?
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

Interesting. I initially thought of something similar. Basically the roads are owned by whoevers units are closer to them. Yours is better though.

One thing I would remove is the part about the roads disappearing. I like big maps, and I often build supply stations so that my units can reach further into the map. Once the inns are full, the units stop coming to the supply station unless they need to move past it. I don't like the roads at those supply stations falling apart. I don't mind it if units need to come to maintain the roads, but if they do not do that automatically, it doesn't sound good.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

i wouldn't agree on a system where roads can be owned. the fading away would go rather fast in my concept and the only benefit of them would be that resources don't grow in.

i would prefer an implicit placement with farming areas to mark where the ground should be treated with care.

greetings,

giszmo
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

Well if we do not use ownership, then how would someone destroy them? We certainly do not want our own warriors to attack our roads if we have an attack flag over it.

I guess to destroy it you want someone to just remove the flag? Ok. But I believe the roads need to stay put when units do not use the area.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

no destroying of trampled ground in my concept.
grass will grow back within 1 min at max. (assume 100 grass-points per tile. 80 grasspoints mean wood and wheat will not grow there. per second the tile will recover 2 grass-points. globs push down 20 grass-points by walking on the tile. to prepare a construction site they treat (pave) each tile until it hits 0 grass points. growing back to 80 triggers to repeat the paving.) this way busy passages will stay clear automatically. on the downside you need a farming area to mark where grass-points should stay untouched.

greetings, giszmo
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

so areas that you want treated you need to mark right? and workers will automatically be assigned to treat it when necessary?
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

other way round: globs turn ground infertile by walking on it and a farming area blocks this efect