Rocks must DIE

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
Inasmuch

Rocks must DIE

Post by Inasmuch »

Frustration: Hello, this is Frustration speaking.
Anger: And hi. I'm Anger. Just saying I'm not involved here. This is just Frustration grinding his salt. I love the game, but hey, you can never shut Frustration up, can you?
Frustration: I really really wish you would stop doing that. It gets me so... right. Back on topic. Is there really any reason at all for globs to be absolutely unable to destroy stone? Have you seen some of those maps? The creators of those hell holes obviously found it positively hilarious to blockade everyone from each other with stone except for some twisted meandering path that could be cleared if both players on either side of the Great Wall of China decide to do so. Man that's a whole bunch of genius right there. What's the problem, is it that stone can't "grow back"? Oh yeah, I forgot, this game's gimmic is to have the terrain being an inconvient, pestering, brat of an opponent that tries to backstab you at every possible occasion it gets. Why not create invisible quicksand or a vortex of death that randomly kills globs? That would be a whole lot faster, no?
Bottom line is: there is no reason that stone can't be destroyed at any point in the game no matter how smart or strong my globs are.
Geez
quinnteh
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Rocks must DIE

Post by quinnteh »

I agree that this is a problem too. However making them fully destructible might cause problems when a map runs out of stone, but if we make them grow then it just won't make sense. Perhaps make them very slightly destructable, like up to 25 harvests before a tile of stone disappears? Then in some cases (like tower maintenance) maybe we can reduce the rate in which they consume stone as well, ie 1 stone = 25 bullets etc
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

Hi guys

what's this all about??? indestructible components are there to have indestructible walls for map designers. an option would be to have an extra barrier like high lands or canyons or so. who volunteers to do the grafix instead of shouting loud??

what's your proposal to solve your problem? what's your problem after all? fruit trees are not destructible neither. should they be, too?

nice to have would be a hight map terrain where you can't walk a certain slope like it was discussed on the mailing list recently. stone should have some 100-1000 units and never grow back (stone doesn't grow.) while allowing to clear it even as it will bind units for a long time. fruit trees are magic fruit trees. guess you will not convince me of them not being like they are now ;)

greetings,

giszmo
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

Inasmuch, have you built any maps before? The great wall of china that you speak of: the editor auto generates a map for you to start with and this great wall of china is commonly generated. I have made a few of these maps myself and immediately realized the problem and fixed it.

Maybe instead of destroying walls, we should suggest that the default amount of rock on the editor is moved from 50 to maybe 10. 50 is really high, and lowering it will make it less likely that amateur designers will make these bad maps.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

oh! ok. here you are right. i did the random maps generator and know that i have to push certain sliders to the far left in order to get good maps. should have brought that knowledge to the code since long. sorry. will do soon. for now i put it to the bt:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?24099

greetings, giszmo
chrismcb

Post by chrismcb »

i understand that rocks dont grow, but i think they should grow back just like every other resource in the game. yes it would be wierd, but maybe they are magic rocks, or that the earth is spewing more rocks out of the ground in that location. then just make them be able to go away like the other resources and we are set