Prestige: a new direction

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
Inasmuch

Prestige: a new direction

Post by Inasmuch »

I have read the posts on Prestige as an alternate win condition, and the ones on fruit being too powerful. That made me think that there is a solution to both problems -or we could at least call them 'topics of interest'- at the same time.

I'm not sure as to what the proportions are, but let's assume that a sufficient amount of people are currently dissatisfied with the way fruit work. Everyone thinks that they are too powerful, too focused, too game-warping,whatever. It is near-obvious that they should be at the very least toned down. On the other hand, I kind of enjoy the option to 'go pacifist'. Losing that path to victory would make me a little sad.

The other issue being that prestige does nothing at all, except makes you feel all tingly inside when you have managed to defeat all your opponents and also have 1000 prestige points at the end of the game. w00t!!1! Simply put, I think that prestige should go in the way of converting enemy units. It makes sense that prestige makes globs envious, and jealous, and perhaps even want to go to that cool civilization that has all those schools and... and...

I'd like to point out that it would be nice to have more than just prestige from schools. Think about it. Isn't a low mortality rate one of the criterea of a well run country? Level three hospitals definitly should 'produce' prestige just as a level three school does.

Just a note on how fruit integrates this shift. Every inn stocked with 3 different kinds of fruit provide 15 prestige, inns with 2 should provide 10 and inns with 1 just 5. Completely empty inns leave a permanent mark of -20 prestige (glory comes and goes, but shame's stain never does).
This way, the fruit strategy isn't straight up 'I win unless you do the same thing I do'. Also, this prestige strategy does a good job of integrating the market, as this building allows fruit to reach the secluded inns. (Afterthought, maybe allowing markets to upgrade to level 2 just to allow them to provide prestige? Seems like making making more buildings prestige is a slippery slope, though)

With those changes, it makes sense that a glob from a civ with little to no prestige would rather go to a place where he is:
- better fed (fruit still matter, albeit less)
- taken better care of (more level three hospitals means lesser likelyhood of death)
- better educated (I go to school cuz I'm cool, y'all)

Then, with these three items providing prestige, globs start converting every 1000/(difference of prestige levels) seconds. ie: I have 3 level three schools and 6 level 3 hospitals and all of my 20 inns have two different types of fruit. Meaning i have:
3*50 + 6*50 + 20*10= 150 + 300 + 200= 650 prestige points. (note that this isn't really hard to achieve, and that dedicated prestige players should be able to attain satisfactory conversion levels). My opponent only has 150 prestige points, a low number used as an example. Thus, every 1000/(650-150)= 2 seconds, I steal one of his guys. Seems fair, but needs testing.

How does the stealing happen? I kind of envisionned a glob, selected at random from the least educated/trained, coming to your base with a Don't Hit Me flag, somehow preventing your units and towers to nuke potential converts, and turning your color when it encounters your swarm.

There. I hope it will get some people interested. I realise this is a little raw and that the numbers need tweaking. I am confident that the base idea is a sound one, though.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Prestige: a new direction

Post by Giszmo »

the basic idea of conversion now is that globs rather convert than die. fruits just bring in an extra aspect as globs rather eat more than less fruit. what i want to say is that your system would change that to the contrary by converting to a team that possibly can't feed an extra unit. maybe to a team that is far beyond any walking distance so the the converted is doomed when walking there already. (now conversion does not work at distances globs can't walk as they choose among inns in range)

please comment on those.

giszmo