upradeing globs should take longer

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

upradeing globs should take longer

Post by Giszmo »

It is odd that when you have schools of different level, globs spend their time in L1 schools even as going once to a L3 would be enough. so i suggest that either

they don't waste their time in lower schools when chances are high they catch a free slot in a higher one soon/there are already many globs trained by L1 schools

or

globs learn from level to level. so they would have to go to the racetrack 3 times to run the fastest possible. so they would prefere the lowest racetrack that's high enough to bring them to the next level in order to keep the higher ones free for those that can't learn from lower tracks anymore.

Possibility 2 would also lead to the educational buildings not suddenly turn void as education would bind the globs several times to them.
Skasi
Worker
Worker

Post by Skasi »

I think, the 2nd Idea is really good! ;)
it just decrases the worth of levels a bit..
so I mean you should add a bit:

the higher the level, the faster they train :)
means, if theres a glob in a pool lvl 1, it needs 1 min for level 2, if theres on in a pool lvl 2, it needs 45 secs for level 2 (then it can train again, for level 3)
I think, the time they need for the next level should decrase MUCH per building level, so that upgrades don't loose too much worth and don't need to be balanced at their ressource-costs ;)
Elvish Pillager
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Elvish Pillager »

I also support the second idea...
To feed good generals, you need good food. To grow good food, you need good pastures. To capture good pastures, you need good generals.
Louisgag
Worker
Worker

Post by Louisgag »

Elvish Pillager wrote:War flags need to be made to work like clearing flags.

yes!!
Advil
Worker
Worker

Avid fan of the project

Post by Advil »

I have a lot to say and I feel that it all relates to the development of this game. I am a huge fan and am very excited and hopeful for this game. Please excuse me for writing such a long post. :lol:

Sorry if i'm butting in where I shouldn't but as for the ideah of leveling up units, would it be such a good ideah to require one of each level of school? Why I am asking this is because if some one new to the game like me were to upgrade their school all the way wouldn't that mean that new workers wouldn't be able to go to school? If so then atleast one of each level of school, pool, barracks, and racetrack would be required. This wouldn't be so bad with the schools but the racetrack and pool take up a huge footprint of land. Massive tree and wheat clearing would have to be done on some of these maps to make that kind of room.

This brings me to my next question.

Noteably the rate at which trees and wheat grow back adds some extra challenge to the game especially on long running campaigns. However, the rate at which trees grow back is or atleast seems much higher than that of the wheat. This may be my perception simply because wheat is required more often than wood. But I played a custom scenario today in which I didn't build any warriors and only five or six explorers and thus did not attack. The three AI that I was up against simply starved to death and I won the game. Upon examination of the enemy islands, the trees had grown to form a barrier all the way around the island cutting off the wheat supply. Some enemy structures were completely surrounded by trees.

I have to soultions in mind for this.

first: lower the number that governs tree growth rate

second: Devise a means in which the harvest of trees is required more frequently than simply building and upgrading. Maybe something that is used to allow weapons to be upgraded or buildings built faster. Or maybe a training facility where workers learn to carry more than one unit of wood. Perhaps this would allow warriors to weild wodden and stone weapons or perhaps would add the ability to train archers.

My next thought is regarding the AI. The AI of the workers and warriors seems like it could use a little help. If one builds rock walls to keep trees from overgrowing frequently used paths it seems that the workers and warriors become somewhat disoriented and often times end up starving to death before they can make it back to an Inn.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

I like the fact that ressources are on the one hand needed but on the other they are a pain if you need to get along with them growing too fast.

So I wouldn't change on that.
The AI has to deal with it (and Nicowar does deal with it pretty well).
What we could do is to improve clearing-areas in a way clearing gets more effective. Here I wouldn't suggest to make them cry for workers from the other end of the map like flags would do but clearing if a glob is 1 step away from a ressource to be cleared is not enough neither.
So why not make globs clear ressources if those ressources to be cleared are lets say 4 to 5 fields away. this way a glob that once started clearing an area would continoue till the area is freed. (local gradient)

Another thing about clearing is the farming system. that should go more automatically as i posted elsewhere. (farming area)
Advil
Worker
Worker

Post by Advil »

Theres still got to be some other use for the trees because once your base is established you really have no need for them and they start to overcome you. Maybe if the hive were to require wood... just a thought.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

Advil wrote:Theres still got to be some other use for the trees because once your base is established you really have no need for them and they start to overcome you.
So?
I love the fact that the 3rd opponent can be nature itselfe. I even created maps with so small islands and many resources that you have trouble clear terrain to build a pool or other things. thats one thing that makes glob2 fun and different from other games where ressources can only become short (to make the game deterministic.
Advil
Worker
Worker

Post by Advil »

Okay, that's all well and good, and I have learned how to keep the trees from taking over my base. Trees do not grow on land and cannot jump fences. Workers, however can walk around fences and get to the trees.

Having said that what about AInumbi? This AI doesn't seem to grasp that these unearthly trees are at unbiased war against all globs. One can still wait until the trees win their silent battle against the enemy and starve them out.

I am going to try the same map again against one of the other AI as was suggested to me erlier. On the triangle map numbi are no match.
Louisgag
Worker
Worker

Post by Louisgag »

AI-Numbi is really just there for testing purposes. Try Castor for a little challenge, or Nicowar for some competition!

8)
AppleBoy
Site Admin

Post by AppleBoy »

keep in mind that nicowar is not complete.

at the same time, it's still _really_ hard to beat, so once you beat that you are ready to take on the developers! or giszmo himself, he's really good too.
Louisgag
Worker
Worker

Post by Louisgag »

I must be ready then...Because although Nicowar is a crazy wolf, it has its flaws and when you exploit one, it helps!
[anonymized]
Worker
Worker

Post by [anonymized] »

I like the second idea too - but if a level 1 worker goes to a lever 3 school, I would like him to upgrade directly too level 3 - it would just take twice the time that a level 2 unit would use to reach level 3. As mentioned, upgraded schools could be more efficient and upgrade workers faster than the level 1 school.
Cchampion
Worker
Worker

Post by Cchampion »

#2 is definitely a good idea. My suggestion, on top of that, is instead of having globs go to a school multiple times, they could just take longer to graduate. Therefore, a glob that has had no schooling before would take a lot longer than a level 3 glob to go through a level 3 school.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

Therefore, a glob that has had no schooling before would take a lot longer than a level 3 glob to go through a level 3 school.
That's exactly how it is done now. Sorry for not posting earlier. I guess this thread should be closed as many of the ideas (my starting post in the first place) have already been implemented since years.

Giszmo