Destroy Ground Instead of Clearing

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
Bradlis7

Destroy Ground Instead of Clearing

Post by Bradlis7 »

I get annoyed of the hassle of clearing grass and trees, such as behind a watchtower, and I think there should be a way to permanently clear. Possibly turn grass into sand.

There might be a better way to do so than I've been going about cleaning out an area, but it just seems like such a hassle at times.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

there has been talk about adding the ability to build 'roads' that would not allow resources to grow on them. So far nothing has come of it that I know of.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

Here is a link to what I guess would work best: http://cofundos.org/project.php?id=23
Lexen
Worker
Worker

A Compromise

Post by Lexen »

I was reading a post that asked for clearing with warriors and the general agreement was that this would take away from the strategy because the units would have less unique functionality. I think there is a way to combine that feature request with this one. Take away workers ability to clear areas and give it to warriors. Then give the workers the ability to pave. The units will have more functionality and I personally think it makes more sense this way because warriors would be perfectly able to clear areas.
I know that it would take some programming, but I think it would make the game a little deeper and a lot more enjoyable.

Thanks,
Lexen
My Machine: Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, Globulation2 Version 0.9.1
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Destroy Ground Instead of Clearing

Post by Giszmo »

Although I agree it would make sense, I don't in the way it would deepen gameplay. Problem would be that rushing warriors would need no other units to widen the roads to their opponent. Maybe if clearing makes them slow and immediately drop their HP to 1 ;)
Lexen
Worker
Worker

Post by Lexen »

hmm... I hear what your saying, but consider this, if you have a bunch of warriors rampaging, they should be stopped by other warriors, not by trees. You should also look at it from the workers perspective, if you are building and the trees or wheat get out of control, you might think "man, we need some warriors in here to clean up the place," then you have a reason to have warriors early in the game, you also have more of a reason to keep them at home. But, if we really don't like warriors being able to clear, I would still like it if workers could pave. You could just make it so you can build on yellow ground and then make it so workers could turn grass into yellow ground. Just a thought.
My Machine: Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, Globulation2 Version 0.9.1
AppleBoy
Site Admin

Post by AppleBoy »

One way that this can be done is to use the stone walls to keep the path open, works like a charm. you don't even have to actually have them built, as long as you don't mind your enemy being able to easily destroy your path.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

AppleBoy wrote:you don't even have to actually have them built, ...
what must be considered a bug ;)