Globulation Online World

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
Ayudo

Globulation Online World

Post by Ayudo »

Hello Globulation team!

I really enjoy playing Globulation now and then.
But I would like the idea of having the possibility of an occassionally online game.
So here is the idea:
Have a persitent online game with a random map really big (like 1000x1000 fields).
You just login and you get a free area (auto-cleared island with wood/stones/wheat) to start.
As soon as you dominate 20% (or certain points or whatever) of the map, you win and the map is restarted.
People can join/leave at anytime.
When you disconnect, your people stay active - if you login again you can continue to play your people - so in case you loose inet-connection you can continue.
For too many people wanting to play there might be multiple maps/servers at same time.

This would mean:
All calculations are done server-side.
You need a very powerful standalone-server (who does the payment?)

What do you think?
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

tough to do for little gain. The game is open source so theoretically someone could do that but I honestly don't see that happening.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
KIAaze

Post by KIAaze »

A better idea would be to simply add a possibility of notifying players on IRC (or just telling players that typing the name of a person logged in IRC will notify them).
This makes finding online games a lot easier. ;)
And also a text somewhere telling them how to log into IRC too when not running Globulation 2.

Just saying that because I saw that a lot of people regularly idling in the Globulation 2 IRC. I'm doing it too now.
Unfortunately, it currently crashes for me in Ubuntu sometimes. :(
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

back to the topic of the first post:
i would highly appreciate a theoretical idea on a persistant server to achieve a MMORTS.
The problem to be tackled in my eyes is that from a RTS game people expect to have a construction phase when you lay the foundation of your later strategy. simple example: rush or powerful attack? Later you want a phase of struggle. No quick end. The possibility to counter an attack. I had one game of glob2 when I won only on my third population high while i dropped down to 30% of my opponents population twice. That's legendary and no suddon defeat or victory can get close to the excitement one has during such a struggle that again had its foundation in the very first decissions on town layout.
The final phase may be shortened. Own 20% to win sounds fine if all others have less than 5%. Still I would want to fight and get frustrated if the defeat came out of nothing (some alerts on defeat by prestige are such a thing, too).

If you have an idea for a persistant RTS let me know.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

while not related in any way to glob2 there is a pretty fun open source MMORTS I play that reminds me alot of Master of Orion. Written completely in python with the pygame library it's called 'outer space' and it's pretty easy to find if you just do a search for outer space and pygame. Personally I like glob2 as a non-persistant game and would prefer it remain that way. Though some persistance for accidental network drops might be useful to give someone a chance to get back into the game.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.