Perhaps make warriors able to clear?

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
Farmer Glob
Worker
Worker

Perhaps make warriors able to clear?

Post by Farmer Glob »

I haven't played a multiplayer, so maybe there are strategy balances I'm not taking into consideration.

I wonder if anyone else thinks it would be nice if warriors were capable of clearing areas painted with the yellow clear area tool. Not the clearing flag - that would make it harder to maintain control of the warriors.

But as I understand the yellow clearing area paintbrush, a worker glob only clears if they are in the area, and aren't hurt. It works great for maintenance in high traffic areas, but it still lags behind sometimes. I often have idle warriors, and it would be convenient if they took a few swipes at the weeds as they were strolling past.

This would also be nice for maintaining a clear attack path, as the yellow clear pattern isn't much use out of town as it is now.
Running 0.8.23 (Gutsy - Ubuntu repos ) V 0.57.23.5
GameDealer
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Perhaps make warriors able to clear?

Post by GameDealer »

Farmer Glob wrote:I haven't played a multiplayer, so maybe there are strategy balances I'm not taking into consideration.

I wonder if anyone else thinks it would be nice if warriors were capable of clearing areas painted with the yellow clear area tool. Not the clearing flag - that would make it harder to maintain control of the warriors.

But as I understand the yellow clearing area paintbrush, a worker glob only clears if they are in the area, and aren't hurt. It works great for maintenance in high traffic areas, but it still lags behind sometimes. I often have idle warriors, and it would be convenient if they took a few swipes at the weeds as they were strolling past.

This would also be nice for maintaining a clear attack path, as the yellow clear pattern isn't much use out of town as it is now.
I disagree because this is meant to be strategy game.
It would make it allot easier if the warrior's could clear.

Greeting's

GameDealer
Farmer Glob
Worker
Worker

Re: Perhaps make warriors able to clear?

Post by Farmer Glob »

GameDealer wrote: I disagree because this is meant to be strategy game.
It would make it allot easier if the warrior's could clear.

Greeting's

GameDealer
Hello GameDealer, thanks for checking out my idea-

Agreed that it would make it easier, but I think easier in that it would be more convenient - but I don't see how it takes away from the strategy.

If you are specifically referring to a vs. AI game though, assuming the AI makes use of the same rules for clearing (I've seen ReachToInfinity have farm patterns similar to the patterns the player has available) then really the AI could stand the most to benefit from making warriors able to clear the painted areas (or the AI equivalent). How many times have you outlasted an AI's initial assaults, built up your army, only to go to his town and see a dozen inns completely surrounded by trees? Or had his whole island land locked? So in that sense I think if anything having warriors able to do the maintenance style clearing would make for a more challenging AI match up.

The clearing paintbrush is only moderately effective, but it allows for much more refined control. Clearing flags are good for a bulk area, right away, or for clearing one thing but not another. This is useful for the strategic end: forest and crop manipulation.

But the ultimate use of the clearing paintbrush is to just keep a path open. Units don't deliberately come to the area to clear it, they clear it only if they are passing by, and the conditions are right.

It would just be more convenient if the warriors pitched in for the yellow areas, things would run more smoothly and there would be less micromanagement.

I'm open to the possibility there could be balance issues, but I'd be curious know what the specifics are.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

barrier farming would make no sense if warriors would easily fight through wheat. i prefere it the way it is now.
Farmer Glob
Worker
Worker

Post by Farmer Glob »

Giszmo wrote:barrier farming would make no sense if warriors would easily fight through wheat. i prefere it the way it is now.
That's true, nevermind