Cost of the swarm needs to be changed

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
AppleBoy
Site Admin

Cost of the swarm needs to be changed

Post by AppleBoy »

I was talking to ion about this, and due to the nature of this building, it really should cost more to produce another one

in every other game it costs just about the most out of every other building. something like 20 wheat and 10 wood would be better. Makes the game more challenging too :)
Ion bidon
Developer

Post by Ion bidon »

Yes, the problem of the low cost of the swarms is that you can "move" your swarms near the wheat very very easily.

I think it should cost a bit more. (indeed 20 wheat and 10 wood seems better)

Alex
Joey101
Worker
Worker

Post by Joey101 »

I think this is a very good idea as well! :D
Elvish Pillager
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Elvish Pillager »

I'm not so sure. I like the way you can basically choose how many swarms to be running near the beginning of the game.

And saying "Other RTSs do it like this" is a ridiculous argument, since if anything, differentiation from those games is *good*.
To feed good generals, you need good food. To grow good food, you need good pastures. To capture good pastures, you need good generals.
AppleBoy
Site Admin

Post by AppleBoy »

true, I like the separation from other RTS', but I still think that it should be higher, considering it is the most important building in the game, and being able to mass produce on the fly can hurt others.

There was one game where I made 15, filled them all up to 20 without producing units, built up an army with my last two (got everybody to level4) and then when the other guy thought he had me, I unleashed hell on him :D
Anyway, that's just a random story
Nuage
Worker
Worker

Post by Nuage »

It has been inceased to 35 wheat. (should be in 0.8.18) How is it now ?
AppleBoy
Site Admin

Post by AppleBoy »

For the most part I like it, except it renders some of the smaller maps with wheat spread out useless, so some maps need to be redone. Perhaps allow more wheat per spot? 10 instead of 5?
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

how about air attack?

Post by Giszmo »

if the now fewer swarms get attacked by air-units there's virtually no way to counter this as the best or only counter now is to produce explorers as well. so explorers will go for the swarms only.
other buildings can be made very resistant by upgradeing. why not make the swarms almost immune to air attack through upgrades?
AppleBoy
Site Admin

Post by AppleBoy »

good suggestion. I really think we need to make level3 towers be able to attack air.

back on topic: I really like the cost of the swarms being at 35, but maps need to be recreated because many of them don't have enough wheat in one spot to properly build, such as, I think it's playground?

I'm going to create a wiki page on a good way to create a map

edit: linky: [wiki]Map Making[/wiki]
Skasi
Worker
Worker

Post by Skasi »

I think 20 was nice.. ;)
just a BIT too less.. what u think about 30?
normally I'd say 25, that u say 30, but I'm fair ^.^
35 is.. more than 50% more than 20, what was nearly ok (just a BIT too less)
so.. yeah I think 30 is REALLY enought ;)

@Towers:
if I'm not false, no tower (lvl 1-4) can attack air, am I?
well, I think 3 would be a nice lvl to start being able to attack air :)
(or prbl it should be able with level 1? cause.. a tower is there to defend.. and if there is much air, it CAN'T defend.. thats not really great ^^)
AppleBoy
Site Admin

Post by AppleBoy »

we've been discussing the tower issue quite a bit, all of the devs are up in arms over this.

Kyle
Joey101
Worker
Worker

Post by Joey101 »

maybe a new tower should be made specifically for attacking explorers (can't attach ground)? maybe have the tower do that thing that explorers do, just a much larger radius... and maybe a bit weaker.

I'm really glad explorers can fight now, it adds a whole new side to the game... a war for information. I think towers attacking explorers would add greatly to that. And I think it would be a pain to have to have a level three tower to attack.
Elvish Pillager
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Elvish Pillager »

I do think that level 1 (or 2 at most) towers should attack air. And be rather weak on the ground.

So a late-game assault would go like this: the attacker's warriors go pound up the defending towers, then as the enemy warriors come out to meet them, explorers move in.
To feed good generals, you need good food. To grow good food, you need good pastures. To capture good pastures, you need good generals.
AppleBoy
Site Admin

Post by AppleBoy »

In CVS the cost is now at 35, which on the latest maps built for current and new releases of glob2 seems like a good number. it will probably stay at this too.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

Joey101 wrote:maybe a new tower should be made specifically for attacking explorers (can't attach ground)? maybe have the tower do that thing that explorers do, just a much larger radius... and maybe a bit weaker.

I'm really glad explorers can fight now, it adds a whole new side to the game... a war for information. I think towers attacking explorers would add greatly to that. And I think it would be a pain to have to have a level three tower to attack.

Sort of like having to alternate between spore and sunken colonies in starcraft. Actually I think there should be a new unit that can attack air strong but is weak ground. This would result in a traditional strategic triangle that many other RTS games have. In many games, footmen kill archers, archers kill specialty unit (generally a flying unit or mage), specialty unit kills footmen (either weak to magic or can't reach flying unit). In this game with the fact that the average explorer attack is lower then the average warrior defense it is balanced but another unit would be nice.