Ranged attack units

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
Manfred

Ranged attack units

Post by Manfred »

It's possible the idea has been here already, but let's see:

How about a unit with a decent ranged attack, but weaker in melee? (Name them archers or whatever.)

But before we get into questions of game-balance, what will they actually shoot? Seeing the globular, mud-like composition of most units, it doesn't strike me as in-tune with the game to let them carry bows or guns... what if they could throw themselves? (In other words, detach parts of their own, form them into bullets/darts/whatever, and throw them at their enemies.)

This immediately invites a built-in weakness: the more they will shoot, the weaker they will become, until at some point they will not be able to continue. Should they be wounded below their shooting threshold, they could be cured up to it in hospitals, but really recover only in inns (so in the end it will be food for ammunition). These dynamic globs might be able to heal in inns as well, but at a slower rate.

Upgrades should be done in the barracks... err, training camps, and of course they could target explorers.

Things to optimize:
- how much they loose/are wounded with each shot
- how well they can shoot, and how do they perform in close combat
- how effective are their shots against buildings (certainly less than warriors)
- how do they perform from behind walls

Extra option:
If it is mud they throw (or whatever are they composed of...), they could also make their enemies slower - as the buildings they target.

Strategy bit:
With walls (and towers) and a source of food, you could make little closed fortresses.
Poet

Post by Poet »

Nice idea, i like how this makes it even more prudent to create supply lines.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

the game is FOSS so your more then welcome to implement it.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
pOoPs
Worker
Worker

Re: Ranged attack units

Post by pOoPs »

i like that idea but id doit like that:

those warriors will get hungry if they shoot, but should have more health and low attack

barracks get a new feature like a bar.
in swarm there 3 bars: worker warrior and explorer
now there 2 bars in the barracks:
1 bar for meele warriors and another 1 for ranged warriors
if u set the bars 2:1 then 2 warriors will be trained and 1 ranged warrior :O

i really like ur idea but i like the simpleness of globulation 2, so i think the lategame should b advanced but noooot so many features in the earlygame :)

sry 4 my english xDDD
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Ranged attack units

Post by Zenfur »

I wanted to suggest the same :) Big "+" for this feature.

I suggest also to move to this topic: http://globulation2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=256
Greetings!! ت