A unique approach to races.

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

A unique approach to races.

Post by NoSpin »

One thing that really makes some games great is the ability to customize it. Quake had several great mods because of this. I have a good idea for races to be implemented and two different ways we could do it.

Allow customization of races by players. Have a editing program that sets creates units for each race. A simple text file some unit graphics could sum up each unit. Allow players to set attack damage, whether or not they are workers, whether or not they can fly, what level they can swim at, area damage, ranged attack, ect for each level. Also how quickly they gain experience. Everyone will be able to experiement and find which races they like the best.

Now there are two ways to do this.

One: use a system of weights to balance each race. Weights and maximum values for each level will prevent anyone from making any units too powerful. This way each race is balanced. Then anyone can make a race that works for them best and use that race in their multiplayer games. When you start a game you will have no idea what race you will be up against or what they are capable of. For example you want the unit to do alot of damage then you will either have to make it have very low hitpoints or some other trade off. If you want your unit to be very fast it may not be able to do any damage.

Two: allow someone to create units however they like regardless of balance. Each race file will be able to contain multiple races. Then game hosts will chose the map and race file. Each player will only be able to choose races from that file. This way the guy designing the races is responsible for balancing each race against each other.

This sounds cool what do you think?
QQ ghost

Post by QQ ghost »

i like your number one idea. lots of very successful games already implement this kind of balance. it could be done with sliders that adjust to each other when you move one... i would like to see this implemented, as you would both be able to create a race, and it would be forced to be balanced. the time/resources to create the unit oculd be affected as well.
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

Definatly, the time and resources should be affected. Also the hunger requirments as well maybe? This way you can create powerhouses but you would only have a few of them. This would lead to very interesting games. Maybe even allow changes durning the game. One thing that would definatly add to the game is special abilites like invisibility, detect invis, ranged attack, spells, poison, attacks that damage atributes, maybe even teleportation but of course that would need alot of thought dedicated to the proper balance.
Dino
Worker
Worker

Post by Dino »

Hi,

i would like to see "real" mods for glob like in other games...
(http://globulation2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=555)

but this sound interesting at well.

Perhaps someone knows Master Of Orion 2... There you can select your race from about 20 races or create your own with a realy nice system. You got points and than you can select features for your race, bad ones that gave you points and good ons that costs points. (you must have 0 or more points in the end to play)
Einarin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Einarin »

I like that, it would be better for the average person if you could create a library of races, perhaps from within the preferences menu? and then be able to choose one of them or the default (the current) to play with for a game.
The only way to achieve perfect security is through making everyone happy, because all security has a weak point, and the only way to make everyone happy is to grant them complete freedom, which requires the removal of all security measures.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

I don't know if anyone remembers this but Pax Imperia had the best race creation out of any game I've ever played. It used a point system but had alot of unique abilities that made the game fun (anaerobic was really useful). Personally I don't see how much tweaking you could do with glob2 races without more changes to the game.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.