Warehouses

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.

Would you like to see warehouses in this game

Yes
44%
No
33%
Not Sure
22%

Total votes: 9

NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Warehouses

Post by NoSpin »

Lets have a building that can store wheat, trees, algae, and stone. This will have several advantages.

One we will be able to clear stone and make room for new buildings. Also we will not lose that stone.

Two it will allow us greater control of forests. We can clear a forest to make room for more buildings but not lose the wood. Also it will let us farm wood. We can set up lines of forbidden zones and workers will grab any trees that grow out of the forbidden zone.

Three we can set up a warehouse that is far away from the town. A inn is useless because it is too far away but an warehouse will allow us to store all that wheat and move it to an inn closer to town.

Workers can only carry resources so far before they need to stop to eat. This will allow workers to carry the resource a portion away from the inn. Stop to eat while another worker carries it the rest of the way.

Of course the workers will see the warehouse as a resource and whenever they need something they take it from the inn.

Brett
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

ooops

Post by Giszmo »

hi

sorry i voted no. don't know how to undo that :/

actually we have such a thing. the market. just that it is only for fruit and doesn't work well yet.

conceptually i would vote to make the markets hold 400/600/800 units of any kind of ressource in level 1/2/3 (least upgraded market?) per player on a team. to make the markets worth beeing built they should not need micromanagement. placing 2 of them should bring an advanteage without any further interaction. so for example assigning 8 workers to 3 markets each should result in 24 workers looking after the markets as a whole. they should go fetch ressources so stocks are balanced. markets are a sink for all ressoures and a source for all ressources stored.

Greetings, Giszmo

P.S.: stone/fruit can't be cleared
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Re: ooops

Post by NoSpin »

So you want workers to grab resources from other market A and bring them to market B if market B has less of that resource?

Because that would really help. I am trying to make it easier to create farming areas that supply food to the whole city.

Brett
Last edited by NoSpin on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

no. markets have no local reservoir. they have a global one. so this is teleportation and is implemented for fruit already. unfortunately it is not smooth yet. now you have to tell each single market to be either importer or exporter per fruit. So a market that is cherry importer can't give away cherryies. i suggest to make it import only. that is: each unit that works for that market imports whatever is needed. all other globs see the markets as sources of available ressources.
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

if it is import only then how do others export to you? if it is only import it would seem that there would be nothing to import.

Maybe we could also turn off import and export in the case that you only wanted to use it for storage?
Last edited by NoSpin on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

no

Post by Donkyhotay »

I said no because this is essentially what the market is. I feel that rather then making a whole new building we should just expand the market to store other resources.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

I said no because this is essentially what the market is. I feel that rather then making a whole new building we should just expand the market to store other resources.
I agree 100%, but still regret having voted "no" because "yes we need a warehouse. lets call it market!"
if it is import only then how do others export to you? ...
Ok. Again I didn't succeed to make myself clear on that. In glob2 you have buildings and some (Inn/swarm/turret) need workers even when construction is finished. In the same fashion i would assign workers to markets with the little difference, that the markets share one gradient. so a worker actually assigned to market 3 will bring ressources to market 1 if it is closer. that would result in markets receiving ressources from maybe 60 globs in parrallel. these 60 globs will try to evenly fill the market with all the ressources up to 100 each (that's the default. we can provide sliders like in the swarm so the player can decide to stock more wheat than stone ... These sliders would be global). if a resource is available at the market (not the building but global market) all market buildings get added to the according gradient just as if the ressource was growing there.

Problem in my eyes is how to prioritize the market jobs.
If priority is too high, globs will fill 800 ressources in the market before doing anything else. If it is too low, they will rather go the long way instead of using the market. So i guess best will be to dynamically assign priority depending on the stock. If one ressouce is absent in the market, getting this ressource there gets highest priority. if the ressource is there in masses, lowest priority.

Opinions?

Greetings, Giszmo
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Re: no

Post by NoSpin »

Ok for the rest of this post and for the poll.... Do you think we should have warehouses means both should we make a new building or expand the abilities of another building.

So if you think the market should act as a warehouse please vote yes because that means you do want a warehouse you just want the warehouse inside the market.

Brett
Donkyhotay wrote:I said no because this is essentially what the market is. I feel that rather then making a whole new building we should just expand the market to store other resources.
Einarin
Explorer
Explorer

keep them seperate

Post by Einarin »

I like the market as is, and voted yes because I think the warehouse should be added as a seperate building. Maybe make it upgradable normally, but after level three upgrade continue to allow upgrades, increasing the perimeter by one in each direction each time, and adding an additional amount of resource space each time.

The advantage of keeping it seperate from the market is that the market is involved in diplomacy, whereas the warehouse pertains only to your own civilization. The fruit in the market is a luxury while the warehouse provides storage for essential materials. Give open resources priority over those in the warehouse, so that it could be used as backup for when your globs overcollect, or to be set to only allow globs working for certain buildings to go there (rainy day storage for inns for when you over collect at your farms anyone?). Thats my opinion, but of course that is all it is, so lets discuss this and improve this game we play :)
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Re: keep them seperate

Post by NoSpin »

Einarin wrote:I like the market as is, and voted yes because I think the warehouse should be added as a seperate building.
I agree but I do want globs to prefer warehouses to resources when the warehouse is much closer.

Since we will be assigning globs to fill the warehouse maybe allow globs to grab which ever is closer (warehouse or resource) and this way players will assign however many globs are nessisary to keep the warehouse filled. This way the warehouse works as a temporary holder for resources that require a few stops to reach its destination.

Warehouse will also allow large land maps where towns can be built far away from the shorelines.

If we do, however, use the market as a warehouse there should be a way to disable importing and exporting of certain resources. This way we can use it as either a warehouse, a market, or both.
Einarin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Einarin »

I think workers should perfer resources if the resources are closer or the same distance, but the warehouse if they are farther away. Otherwise there will be a bunch of unnecessary extra steps.

Warehouses would be great on maps where you are in the middle of land with a massive amount of wheat. You could just build warehouses instead of having to replace your glob
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

Yeah I agree. That is the purpose of the warehouse
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

I still think having a non-global storage system is pointless. I mean, think about it. Unit A goes and gets a resource and takes it to the warehouse. Unit B goes to same warehouse and picks up that resource to take it where it needs to go. It's much more efficient to have only one worker go out and get the resource required.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

Well there is three advantages.

The main advantage is if the distance is very long the worker needs some way of dropping the resource off while he eats.

Two we can move stones into the warehouse making room for more buildings

Three we can harvest a full field of resources that we are not ready to use yet allowing the resources to regrow.

Also if we use the market as the warehouse then we can trade resources other then fruit.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

just so long as it's global like the market is now.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.