Roads

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.

Would you like to see roads in this game?

Yes
93%
No
7%
Not Sure
No votes

Total votes: 14

NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Roads

Post by NoSpin »

I think we should have roads or maybe concrete. I want to built tiles that my units can walk on and trees will not grow on. This way I can built buildings in the middle of a forest and always have a way in and out. Also roads would be cool because it will allow your warriors to traverse your city quicker when an attacker arrives. It would also be cool if we could upgrade roads too.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

No

Post by Giszmo »

Hi

I voted "no" as I see
:cry: a big risk of micromanagement
:cry: paved all over bases

I also think it is a cheap hack for the clearing areas that don't work. I'd rather want those to be more like flags. each overgrown clearing square requests a worker like a flag with range 1 would do.

If clearing the same spot over and over again and walls are a waste of space and ressources, i suggest a woodn fence that fits between two squares.

greetings, giszmo
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Re: No

Post by NoSpin »

I don't understand how this will create a risk of micromanagement
Giszmo wrote:Hi

I voted "no" as I see
:cry: a big risk of micromanagement
:cry: paved all over bases

I also think it is a cheap hack for the clearing areas that don't work. I'd rather want those to be more like flags. each overgrown clearing square requests a worker like a flag with range 1 would do.

If clearing the same spot over and over again and walls are a waste of space and ressources, i suggest a woodn fence that fits between two squares.

greetings, giszmo
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

micromanagement is unwanted in glob2. that's a paradigm. well and roads would have to get built without a big need to do so in my eyes. we can solve problems better than with roads.
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

I know it is micromanagement is unwanted. the question is how is it micromanagement?

Are you saying that it would be a big benefit to place reads everywhere and indivdually placing roads would be big micromanagement?

Well we could drag boxes over the whole town indicating our workers to build roads on all of those squares.

I think only a few roads will really be nessisary. A big highway connecting one end of the town to the other as well as a road connecting distant inns to wheat fields.
Giszmo wrote:micromanagement is unwanted in glob2. that's a paradigm. well and roads would have to get built without a big need to do so in my eyes. we can solve problems better than with roads.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

yes

Post by Donkyhotay »

I feel having roads would be beneficial to preventing overgrowing resources. Roads would not be micromanagement (at least no more then walls currently are) as you simply drag and drop. One thing I would like would be for roads to be buildable. This way you can pave your town and be able to build on it.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

Ok. Agreed. How about making fastening of the construction site obligatory. fastening costs nothing but time and avoids ressources to grow in. that would solve another issue like i explained in my wishlist (construct = clear -> fasten -> forbid -> build).
i just don't want paved areas to be speed-up areas as i think big scale maps give room for more strategic games while fast roads or even teleports would shrink the map again.

will a fastened area allow un-fasten?
->yes. otherwise one would regret a little mistake in the beginning of a game all game long (cutting off ressource growth)

will a destructed building leave fastened area?
-> opinions?

Greetings, Giszmo
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

What are you talking about?

Making the fastening of the construction site obligatory? Please explain what you meant by this.

will a fastened area allow un-fasten? I do not understand what you meant by this.

Brett
Last edited by NoSpin on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

What are you talking about?
according to my dictionary fastening is the the process of making ground stable so you can use it. Maybe I got something wrong.
Making the fastening of the construction site obligatory? Please explain what you meant by this.
paving (=fastening) the construction site means covering the construction site with 1x1 buildings that alow units to walk on, cost zero ressources but one second to be built.

advanteage would be that these 1x1 buildings prevent ressources from growing in while it would give us the possibility to effectively allow to order buildings where there are ressources. also we could allow to walk on construction sites until the first ressource has been brought there. and we would not allow to use construction sites to block enemy units/buildings.
will a fastened area allow un-fasten? I do not understand what you meant by this.
if paved areas block ressources one would have to be able to un-pave it so that fields can be expanded.

I guess it would be rather simple to make clearing areas into paving areas. they call for workers for every unpaved square, clear it if ressource is on it and pave it directly after clearing.

this could directly be used for non-blocking construction sites.
construction-site = pave area -> forbidden area -> construction

Giszmo
Einarin
Explorer
Explorer

A different take

Post by Einarin »

What if you included roads, but the user wouldn't build them? Say a new class of objects is created, which are 'civilization improvements.' They require certain construction levels to build and ?maintain? and are worked on by units which are free from duties to buildings. For roads you could add a decaying counter of units who have passed along that square. The worker globs would automatically place roads in the most used areas, and perhaps we could add a 'no-road' flag, since if we follow the above suggestions they would inhibit the growth of resources. Because they are built by free workers, there would be no micromanagment necessary, although it might be possible to utilize no-entry flags to increase unit counts in certain areas, allowing for some degree of control.

Please add to this, it just came to me as I was reading the other posts in this topic, and I made it up as I went along :D
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Re: A different take

Post by NoSpin »

I like that... but one thing though I still want to have some way of preventing my buildings from becoming surrounded by trees or crops. So maybe they build it automatically but we can still build some ourselves where we deem nessisary.
Einarin wrote:What if you included roads, but the user wouldn't build them? Say a new class of objects is created, which are 'civilization improvements.' They require certain construction levels to build and ?maintain? and are worked on by units which are free from duties to buildings. For roads you could add a decaying counter of units who have passed along that square. The worker globs would automatically place roads in the most used areas, and perhaps we could add a 'no-road' flag, since if we follow the above suggestions they would inhibit the growth of resources. Because they are built by free workers, there would be no micromanagment necessary, although it might be possible to utilize no-entry flags to increase unit counts in certain areas, allowing for some degree of control.

Please add to this, it just came to me as I was reading the other posts in this topic, and I made it up as I went along :D
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

I have never heard of the word fastening before but I am adding it to my vocabulary.

Yes unpaving must be possible.

One thing though I am curious about... if they cost zero resources just time...... When you set areas out to be paved can units walk over them before they get paved?

Another thought too.. instead of roads increasing the unit's speed, roads could decrease the energy cost. In other words units can walk further on pavement without needing to eat.
Last edited by NoSpin on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

NoSpin wrote:One thing though I am curious about... if they cost zero resources just time...... When you set areas out to be paved can units walk over them before they get paved?
My opinion: yes if there are no resources on it. Only while paving the square should be forbidden and free.
NoSpin wrote:Another thought too.. instead of roads increasing the unit's speed, roads could decrease the energy cost. In other words units can walk further on pavement without needing to eat.
My opinion: Put it the other way round. Increase the speed but not the range. I find it fascinating to have games where you need outposts to be able to reach the opponent base. on 512x512 maps even explorers can't reach the other end of the map. that's so cool. you can really develop very strategically.
Einarin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Einarin »

My idea was to have roads be completely autonomous, so that they require no human intervention, and aren't primarily to stop resources, they are to improve traffic in busy city centers (continue playing after you win and boost your population over three hundred and you will see what im talking about). Passive clearing flags do a good job of keeping buildings clear unless globs never go there, and if globs never go there why do you even have it? Also in time the roads would end up connecting all your buildings anyway, so there would be permenant access. If you get really pissed at a patch of resources, you could always just clear it all or wall it in.

ALso, as to an idea for building the road, what if a worker goes and gets stone and lays it down as a road? the only obstruction would be the time it took him to put it down (you could use the harvest/place in building/build animation)
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

What is everyone's vote on roads?

1. Yes we should be able to build them.

2. Yes the workers should build them automatically and we cannot control where they go.

3. No roads

Also what do the roads do?

1. Increases speed

2. Decreases hunger costs

And can roads be upgraded?