Roads

Feature Requests have moved to http://glob2.uservoice.com
This section is read only for reference.

Would you like to see roads in this game?

Yes
93%
No
7%
Not Sure
No votes

Total votes: 14

NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

I say we can build them ourselves, they cannot be upgraded, and they do both: increase speed and decrease hunger costs.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

NoSpin wrote:What is everyone's vote on roads?
No roads that look like roads. I vote for my proposed paving areas as they would keep gameplay as is and only reduce micromanagement. But keep in mind that features don't get coded by voting ;)

Greetings, Giszmo
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

Who makes the final decision on whether or not it gets it the current version?
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

NoSpin wrote:Who makes the final decision on whether or not it gets it the current version?
ROFL! The person that takes the time to write the code of course! (c:
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

If I code it.... it will be the code that everyone plays? Even the other coders do not like roads?
Einarin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Einarin »

It will at very least be in the CVS version, and it will go from there to the next regular release unless it gets removed I think
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

Ok and where do I submit my changes? Out of curiousity who decides on whether or not it is removed?
Einarin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Einarin »

I don't actually know, I'm just speaking from the info I've read on the wiki. I haven't actually done anything related to the project because my c++ still sucks. Read the wiki, and hopefully someone more knowledegable can explain anything you don't understand/can't find.

EDIT: Road creation is in the wishlist part of the development raodmap so I'm guessing it is accepted that it will be added in some form.
NoSpin
Warrior
Warrior

Post by NoSpin »

where did you see it in the wish list?
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

Well, NCT and nuage started it but I think they recently handed the reins over to genix which would make him the top admin of the project right now and give him the final say. Realistically though, if you have the skills to do something then go ahead and do it. People will try it out in the CVS version and if it becomes really unpopular then someone else will revert it. If for some wierd reason things get out of control (say two people keep adding/removing changes) then genix will probably step in and probably ban the people doing it but it's never happened that I know of and I doubt it will. If your really serious about helping us develop glob2 then you should register with savannah and also sign up for the developers mailing list. I mean, I've fixed bugs and made improvements without ever asking anybody about it and it's never been a problem.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

yoh :)
pOoPs
Worker
Worker

Re: Roads

Post by pOoPs »

well i think ish not good 2 create building in the woods because its annoying 2 find every building :/ (if ur enemy tries 2 annoy/survive)

i think ractracks are enough... :/ ;p
pharo212

Post by pharo212 »

Eh, what? What do racetracks have to do with this? Racetracks are a building for training globs, roads would stop trees and bushes from growing on areas of land.
konzy

Post by konzy »

Just some thoughts on the roads issue.

1. You will need a separate restricted area for grooming your resources, you could effectively kill your grain fields if your globs build roads in there, and most traffic is around inns and swarms so they would be the first place to get roads.

2. If roads increased speed or made globs less tired then the enemy would be able to get past the stationary defenses faster and right into the heart of your civilization. Or, make many smaller groups go all over the base and while you are occupied with them, stronger units could easily take out your defenses. A counter would be to put walls with towers on either side of the road to bottleneck the enemy, you could even restrict road building along this bottleneck, but it would be just as easy for the enemy to subvert the 'guard' tower defenses; there would be no advantage to try a push through the gauntlet.

3. For keeping resources at bay without idle workers I like the fence idea much better. It would make for tighter campaign maps, bottlenecks in heavily wooded areas, going down to one of two spaces wide without the need for drilling through a bunch of resources. units can move on the fenced areas freely and all a worker needs to do is to touch the space to build or destroy it. This would eliminate blocking off your units and enemy units from resources. You could put a ring around your swarm or inn and never have to worry about grain growing too close to it, put two rings of it around your swimming pool or racetrack, you can upgrade it and still have space around it for units to walk. The fence would only be deleted if something was completely built on top of it, or was removed by a worker. Also it would help separate your resource fields, so your forests don't grow in your grain fields.

Conclusion: I think it would be really cool to see wear marks or even roads show up just by having workers walk. Although, it seems like roads would pose much more of a micromanagement puzzle for restricting, allowing and defending them. If nothing more, just add them for aesthetics, it would look really cool. On second thought, if you use fences for resource restriction, then roads could allow for resources to grow on the same block (ruts in grain fields, slight parting of trees in forests). There would be no downfall to roads except for a strategic advantage/disadvantage. The only decision to make would be if you want to keep your roads inside your walls to make it harder for the enemy to invade, or stretching outside your walls, a more aggressive move, making transport from your base to your enemies easier and vice a versa. I'd say start with fences and roads become a much simpler problem.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

Eh, what? What do racetracks have to do with this? Racetracks are a building for training globs, roads would stop trees and bushes from growing on areas of land.
My proposal was to allow to place buildings on resources but they would still have to be built of course! So you place a building and no matter if wood grows in or you placed it into wood in the first place the construction site will not get canceled but the globs will simply deal with the situation and clear, pave and build.