New Map Concept

We love feedback! But don't get it confused with Feature Requests and Bug Reports.
joelofarabia
Worker
Worker

New Map Concept

Post by joelofarabia »

Hi guys. Thanks for glob2, cool....

I've designed a new map I think you might be interested in having a look at. Your maps section wouldn't let me add comments so I'm entering it here...

The only problem is I can't find it on my system. I open the folder containing the maps and only the default ones are there, even though the ones I've made are visible from inside the program. Help??

Anyway, the concept is inspired by the history of Britain. Every victory won by Britain from the Spanish Armada to the Second World War was only possible because Britain is an island. Had Britain been connected to mainland Europe it would have been defenseless against the French, Spanish, Dutch, Germans, and so on. Instead Britain was able, for instance, to take North America from the French in the mid-18th century even though France's population was four times the size of Britain's.

So, this map is called Island v Continent. You have one player, red, on a large-ish self-sufficient Island, capable of supporting around 200, with two each of all three types of fruit tree. The only realistic way to attack it is with at least level 2 swimmers (or ground-attack explorers, obviously). Then there are six players on a large and fertile Continent, all of which are in easy distance of all resources and at least one kind of fruit. (Nobody needs to swim for algae.) They all stand a reasonably equal chance (I tested it with Nicowars). It's pointless to play this with AI's because if you're on the island they just wear each other down until you decide you want to walk all over them. The idea is that the Continent players MUST form an alliance to eliminate the Island, while still remembering that after they've defeated the Island they'll be left fighting each other. Which gives the Island some interesting potential for playing the Continent players off one another...

In any case I'd really like to know where glob2 saved my work of art so I can send it to you people for a squizz. Heh.

Glob on dudes...
K776
Warrior
Warrior

Re: New Map Concept

Post by K776 »

Sounds like a fun map. If you're on Linux, try in /home/youname/.glob2/maps/ <- where saved ones go

If you're on Windows, try C:\Program Files\Globulation_2\maps\

Zip it, and attach it to this thread. I'll be happy to take a look :D
joelofarabia
Worker
Worker

Post by joelofarabia »

I found it. I'm using Vista, which is rubbish by the way (it's too late for me... save yourselves! :lol: ) which stuffed it in AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Globulation_2, just in case anyone else using Vista should ask. Thank you very much Mr. Gates, have yourself a firebomb on me.

And nooow I can't upload it. I get a message in red letters saying: "Could not upload attachment to ./files/806_9dfe2bdb19835c858294cc2ad2a7bc43." Brilliant.

If it comes to it I can email it to you. Send me a private message and I'll give you my address.
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

Kinda survival, eh ? :)
Greetings!! ت