Mac Install?

Having trouble getting the game going or understanding something? Look no further.
Pombar

Mac Install?

Post by Pombar »

(Only asking this after half an hour of looking around, so either I'm a few screws loose or it isn't too obvious)
It says it's compatible with Mac OS X, but I can't seem to find the Mac compatible download. The Download & Install Instructions merely say "download the disk image and run the installer", yet there isn't a Disk Image (.dmg) on the list of downloads!
Can anyone point me in the direction of a working d/l for the Mac version?
Ion bidon
Developer

Post by Ion bidon »

you can take a look at this post : http://globulation2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51
Actually, there is no compiled version for mac because no developer owns a mac. However, you can try to compile from source.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

If anyone out there with a mac does manage to compile let us know. It would be useful to have a pre-compiled mac binary on the download page.
Pmol

Post by Pmol »

Hello :)
Here is a version of Globulation2.
It's not the last, but...
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

That version is REALLY out of date. It'll give you an idea of what glob2 is like but there have been many enhancements since then. Taking a look at that page there is a link to darwinports and if I'm reading it right I think you can use that to compile the most recent code for mac but since I haven't even touched a mac since marathon1 came out (and that was on a friends computer) I can't really help you. I believe elvish pillager has a mac but he said on a similar thread that he hasn't been able to get glob2 to compile on it recently.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
Pmol

Post by Pmol »

(excuse me, I'm French)
Okay.
I'm trying to compile the last version of Globulation since Friday.
But there some problems with the Sdl library...
Milosh

Post by Milosh »

Pmol wrote:I'm trying to compile the last version of Globulation since Friday.
But there some problems with the Sdl library...
I have compiled it without problems.
I have installed ports speex, libogg, libvorbis, libsdl, libsdl_image, libsdl_net, libsdl_ttf, boost and zlib. And with the good environments variables (CPPFLAGS='-I /opt/local/include' LDFLAGS='-L/opt/local/lib/' ./configure), configure then make went ok.
Pmol

Post by Pmol »

Yes :D
I did it :)
With the DarwinPort of Sdl_ttf and your export line, i did it. Thank you :)
Einarin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Einarin »

Awesome! If you could post it I'm sure all the glob2-loving mac users will thank you.

*listens*

Well, they will in their haerts anyway :D
Pmol

Post by Pmol »

Hello :)
What do you want I do ?
A ReadMe ? A Howto ? A package (but i'll have to search) ?
Milosh

Post by Milosh »

glob2 has been updated to v0.8.21 in darwinports (now to be called macports).
So just do :
sudo port install glob2
Maradatscha

Post by Maradatscha »

i just installed the game via maports
but only the 0.8.21 version
i would be happy to help creating a dmg for the newer version
anyone know who i have to contact?
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

genix is the primary administrator for globulation but right now the glob2 engine is going through a massive rewrite. I'm not certain how much longer it will take but it apparently is at the compilation stage so it might be better to hold off a little before supplying a mac binary.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
Maradatscha

Post by Maradatscha »

okay!
just write into this thread when it is time.
Kakeru

Post by Kakeru »

I've been working on installing this for a little while now, at first I couldn't get it to see sdl-config, but eventually I sorted that out. What I'm having problems with now is getting sdl_image to install (ie. what the globulation2 configure started complaining about after sdl-config).

SDL_image configures okay, the problem occurs during "make" I get hit with:
/usr/bin/libtool: can't locate file for: -lpng
/usr/bin/libtool: file: -lpng is not an object file (not allowed in a library)
/usr/bin/libtool: can't locate file for: -ljpeg
/usr/bin/libtool: file: -ljpeg is not an object file (not allowed in a library)
/usr/bin/libtool: can't locate file for: -ltiff
/usr/bin/libtool: file: -ltiff is not an object file (not allowed in a library)
make: *** [libSDL_image.la] Error 1
/usr/bin/libtool doesn't exist, I've tried using cd to get to it. all the other sdl libraries installed without problems, I should be able to get globulation2 to configure once this is done, and I'm more than willing to create a dmg for others once this is compiled. (assuming I can figure out how of course.)

I'm on OSX 10.4.9, first gen macbook. (intel core duo 2.0GHz, 1GB RAM). Thanks in advance for the help.

Update: Solved this one by commenting "IMG_LIBS = -lpng -lz -ljpeg -ltiff -lz" out of the makefile for SDL_image, new problem is:
checking boost/tuple/tuple.hpp usability... no
checking boost/tuple/tuple.hpp presence... no
checking for boost/tuple/tuple.hpp... no
configure: error: *** boost tuple headers not found
If I only knew where it was looking for it, this wouldn't be a problem.

Of course, the wiki said not just to download and install boost, but boost-devel as well. However there is no boost-devel boost.org's sourceforge page.