Windows XP can not join a LAN game...

Having trouble getting the game going or understanding something? Look no further.
Olafrv

Windows XP can not join a LAN game...

Post by Olafrv »

I host a LAN game in my personal linux workstation, any other linux workstation in my LAN can join the sesion but Windows XP workstations in my LAN can not.

All workstation are in a local private LAN sharing files and without any firewall (We are all behind a firewall for Internet and connected to a common switch for the LAN).

Windows XP can see the game that is being served by my personal linux workstation but it can not join the session, showing this messages "Not connected" before trying to connect ("Sending the request...").

All Windows XP workstation have the Windows Firewall Disabled.

Why this happens, any thoubleshooting is needed?

Tranks.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

workaround solution and other problem

Post by Donkyhotay »

Olafrv wrote:I host a LAN game in my personal linux workstation, any other linux workstation in my LAN can join the sesion but Windows XP workstations in my LAN can not.

All workstation are in a local private LAN sharing files and without any firewall (We are all behind a firewall for Internet and connected to a common switch for the LAN).

Windows XP can see the game that is being served by my personal linux workstation but it can not join the session, showing this messages "Not connected" before trying to connect ("Sending the request...").

All Windows XP workstation have the Windows Firewall Disabled.

Why this happens, any thoubleshooting is needed?

Tranks.

I have a similar setup trying to connect a linux & XP box together. I could not get my XP box to automatically find the host on linux but if I type the IP address of my linux box into XP then I can connect manually. I have however been having another issue. Whenever I host a game on my linux box my own username does not show up in the awaiting players screen. If I connect with XP and then start the game on the host it declares the XP box the immediate winner because there was no linux player. If I set XP as the host and connect with linux then both players are there and able to work normally.
K776
Warrior
Warrior

Post by K776 »

There is some obvious issue with windows xp. Possibly because all the developers I know use a unix/linux based system like gentoo, ubuntu, fedora, or debian. Globulation is having its entire network system (lan and yog I believe) rewritten as soon as alpha19 is released. This should hopefully get a few things fixed, including why I can only play one person in yog, no one else, which is annoying :P
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

workaround for problem joining own host

Post by Donkyhotay »

I fixed my own problem, here's a work around until this bug can get fixed. The problem was due to the fact glob2 can only find it's own host by searching localhost and if your computer is named something else (as mine is) then it won't work unless the name is changed. So if anyone else out there has this problem you'll need to edit the /etc/hosts and the /etc/sysconfi/network to read localhost instead of whatever it currently happens to be.
[anonymized]
Worker
Worker

Re: workaround for problem joining own host

Post by [anonymized] »

Donkyhotay wrote:I fixed my own problem, here's a work around until this bug can get fixed. The problem was due to the fact glob2 can only find it's own host by searching localhost and if your computer is named something else (as mine is) then it won't work unless the name is changed. So if anyone else out there has this problem you'll need to edit the /etc/hosts and the /etc/sysconfi/network to read localhost instead of whatever it currently happens to be.
If you add "localhost" at the end of the line for your own box in /etc/hosts it should be able to find itself with "localhost" anyway, like I've done here:

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1       pentagon.lan            pentagon        localhost
My box is currently named pentagon. Ping finds localhost then, but I haven't played glob2 over a network before so I can't confirm that everything will work then...
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

Jaboua wrote:
Donkyhotay wrote:I fixed my own problem, here's a work around until this bug can get fixed. The problem was due to the fact glob2 can only find it's own host by searching localhost and if your computer is named something else (as mine is) then it won't work unless the name is changed. So if anyone else out there has this problem you'll need to edit the /etc/hosts and the /etc/sysconfi/network to read localhost instead of whatever it currently happens to be.
If you add "localhost" at the end of the line for your own box in /etc/hosts it should be able to find itself with "localhost" anyway, like I've done here:

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1       pentagon.lan            pentagon        localhost
My box is currently named pentagon. Ping finds localhost then, but I haven't played glob2 over a network before so I can't confirm that everything will work then...
Well, that is one solution... however once I confirmed it was the hostname I simply went into the source code, rewrote it for my computer name, and then recompiled 8). Works perfectly on my system though of course it wouldn't work on anyone elses (unless you had the same computer name as me). I'm currently working on making my fix compatible with any hostname so that it will work for anybody. If anyone wants info on how to change it for a specific hostname let me know and I'll tell you where in the code this is located (it's only one line) however I'm *hoping* to have the permenant fix done soon at which point I'll submit it back for everybody. Man I love GPL software :D!!! it's so annoying with proprietary software to pay $50 just to file a bug and have to wait until the corporation releases a patch because you can't just go fix it yourself.
[anonymized]
Worker
Worker

Post by [anonymized] »

Donkyhotay wrote:Well, that is one solution... however once I confirmed it was the hostname I simply went into the source code, rewrote it for my computer name, and then recompiled 8). Works perfectly on my system though of course it wouldn't work on anyone elses (unless you had the same computer name as me). I'm currently working on making my fix compatible with any hostname so that it will work for anybody. If anyone wants info on how to change it for a specific hostname let me know and I'll tell you where in the code this is located (it's only one line) however I'm *hoping* to have the permenant fix done soon at which point I'll submit it back for everybody. Man I love GPL software :D!!! it's so annoying with proprietary software to pay $50 just to file a bug and have to wait until the corporation releases a patch because you can't just go fix it yourself.
Cool :)

Did you get it working with all hostnames? If not, maybe you try to make it connect directly to the IP 127.0.0.1 as that is usually the loopback-device on *NIX
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

fixed in CVS

Post by Donkyhotay »

I did get the fix implemented a while back so it made it in time for version .19 so if it's still not working then obviously something else is going on.