Install from RPM on Fedora missing dependency

Having trouble getting the game going or understanding something? Look no further.
Imbob

Install from RPM on Fedora missing dependency

Post by Imbob »

I'm trying to instal the Fedora binary from RPM and cant get around the dependency:

rpm -Uvh globulation2-0.8.17-345.i686.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.4) is needed by globulation2-0.8.17-345.i686
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.6) is needed by globulation2-0.8.17-345.i686

I also tried YUM:
yum localinstall globulation2-0.8.17-345.i686.rpm
Setting up Local Package Process
Examining globulation2-0.8.17-345.i686.rpm: globulation2 - 0.8.17-345.i686
Marking globulation2-0.8.17-345.i686.rpm to be installed
Resolving Dependencies
--> Processing Dependency: libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.6) for package: globulatio n2
--> Processing Dependency: libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.4) for package: globulatio n2
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.6) is needed by package gl obulation2
Error: Missing Dependency: libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.4) is needed by package gl obulation2

I cant figure out how to get this dependency resolved. YUM cant find any package to meet the need. I think I already have it though:

# rpm -q --whatprovides libstdc++.so.6
libstdc++-3.4.4-2.fc3
#rpm -q libstdc++
libstdc++-3.4.4-2.fc3

Am I missing something? I'm comfortable with Linux, but I'm not a compiling guru by any means and I can use RPMs ok. The rest of my system is up to date via YUM. Thanks for any help.
Ion bidon
Developer

some hints

Post by Ion bidon »

Hello, I know nothing about rpms but I have found that fedora core 3 has a libstdc++ package that provides this :

Code: Select all

libstdc++.so.6(CXXABI_1.3)(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4)(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.1)(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.2)(64bit)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.3)(64bit)
and it seems that globulation package needs this :

libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.6) is needed by globulation2-0.8.17-345.i686
which may explain why you cannot install it.
Fedora core 4 has a package that provides this :

libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.3)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.4)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.5)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.6)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.7)
so if you were able to install a newer package it should work, but I really don't know how to manage with fedora and if it's good to install a package from a core to another.

The information has been found on these links :
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... 6.rpm.html
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... 6.rpm.html

You can also try to join Dejan on irc.globulation.org , #glob2 or #glob2-dev. I think he provides the rpm packages.

Alex
Imbob

Post by Imbob »

Thanks for your reply.
I cant seem to find much information about libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.6), except that FC4 has it and FC3 doesnt. I cant seem to fingure out how to get it either. Looking at the links you provided, the glibc++ for FC3 is version 3.4.4 and for FC4 it's 4.0.2. I wonder if they stopped producing packages?? I will continue investigating
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

FC4

Post by Donkyhotay »

I use FC4 and simply installed all dependencies automatically through yum, dont' know about FC3.
Imbob

Post by Imbob »

Yeah.. I couldn't get it to work under FC3, so I updated to FC4. Works fine now.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

unable to host

Post by Donkyhotay »

For some strange reason when I attempt to host a LAN game on FC4 the "host" player never joins. Others can join but the host player isn't there. This doesn't happen when creating a game online just LAN. I also don't have this issue on winXP. Any other FC4 users noticing this issue?
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Re: unable to host

Post by Donkyhotay »

Donkyhotay wrote:For some strange reason when I attempt to host a LAN game on FC4 the "host" player never joins. Others can join but the host player isn't there. This doesn't happen when creating a game online just LAN. I also don't have this issue on winXP. Any other FC4 users noticing this issue?
I fixed my own problem, here's a work around until this bug can get fixed. The problem was due to the fact glob2 can only find it's own host by searching localhost and if your computer is named something else (as mine is) then it won't work unless the name is changed. So if anyone else out there has this problem you'll need to edit the /etc/hosts and the /etc/sysconfi/network to read localhost instead of whatever it currently happens to be.
Nuage
Worker
Worker

Post by Nuage »

hello,
Can you do this in the console:
$ ping -b 255.255.255.255

and repost if your own computer is repling to it ?

thank you!
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

bug fixed

Post by Donkyhotay »

As of version 0.8.19 the localhost bug has been permenantly fixed so your computer no longer needs to be named localhost. Try downloading the updated RPM's and re-installing.