Bunch of problems

Having trouble getting the game going or understanding something? Look no further.
NudeRaider
Worker
Worker

Bunch of problems

Post by NudeRaider »

First of all compliments for that great game. My friend and I found that game only recently and it's refereshingly different. However there are several things that really take out the fun of it. Need help!
(We both have Version 0.9.1 (left number) and the right number is V 0.59.24)

1.) Most annoying: My friend and I cannot play any map we edited ourselves on ysagoon online. (they work on single player though)
The game starts, but then both our games crash.
I did a test on this: Opened official "G2" map which works, saved it as "G3" (no changes, just save!) and played it and it crashed again.
Why is that? Are custom maps not allowed in online games?

Somewhere I read "old maps" have to be converted to play them. Is the editor creating "old maps"? Where can I get that converter?

2.) We cannot play over Network (Hamachi). Upon joining the other's game, both games either crash or freeze.

3.) We don't know how to set alliances for the comps. For example how to set 2 v 2comp? The comps always attack each other, too.

4.) When using "forbidden zones" to preserve resources the workers seem to try to reach them (but can't) and thus stupidly run around instead of walking the long way to another wheat field. Any way to avoid this without draining all the resources.

5.) Often I have a lot of free workers (green number) and some construction sites, but only none or few are working there (way less than I set) why is that? Also whats the difference between the green (free) and red (searching) workers in the diagram?

Help with any of those problem is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by NudeRaider on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Bunch of problems

Post by Giszmo »

NudeRaider wrote:First of all compliments for that great game. My friend and I found that game only recently and it's refereshingly different.
Thanx in the name of all developers! I'm always happy to see others like glob2 beeing different and not request to make it more like "the original" whatsoever.
NudeRaider wrote:1.) Most annoying: My friend and I cannot play any map we edited ourselves on ysagoon online. (they work on single player though)
The game starts, but then both our games crash.
Just to make sure we don't have this issue tracked already: Could it also be this bug:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func= ... m_id=21897 where LAN games in general are broken but YOG works?

If not please provide a detailed report either here or better on the bug tracker including the error message (start glob2 via the command line/console) or better a traceback like in the error report above.
NudeRaider wrote:I did a test on this: Opened official "G2" map which works, saved it as "G3" (no changes, just save!) and played it and it crashed again.
Why is that? Are custom maps not allowed in online games?
Almost everything is allowed ;) This is not shareware this is FOSS.

What exactly are you saying? Both are not how I remember it last acted here. Unfortunately I can't test now.
-create map
-start _single_player_ game using this map
-crash
and
-_lan_game_
-custom map
-no crash
NudeRaider wrote:Somewhere I read "old maps" have to be converted to play them. Is the editor creating "old maps"? Where can I get that converter?
no, the editor stores and loads new map format only.
NudeRaider wrote:2.) We cannot play over Network (Hamachi). Upon joining the other's game, both games either crash or freeze.
That is above mentioned bug in LAN-games.
NudeRaider wrote:3.) We don't know how to set alliances for the comps. For example how to set 2 v 2comp? The comps always attack each other, too.
Again I can't test but normally the AIs should ally. Can you provide a screenshot of AIs that fight each other? This should only occure if you are on the same team (color) as the AI what I did for AI-testing only so far.
NudeRaider wrote:4.) When using "forbidden zones" to preserve resources the workers seem to try to reach them (but can't) and thus stupidly run around instead of walking the long way to another wheat field. Any way to avoid this without draining all the resources.
Please check my video at http://www.leowandersleb.de/Globulation ... sHowTo.ogg If your globs act different, please discribe.

One bug in this area is when they start spinning. Here they are trapped by invisible forbidden areas. The forbidden area manager has to be refreshed what can be done by placing and/or removing a forbidden area.
NudeRaider wrote:5.) Often I have a lot of free workers (green number) and some construction sites, but only none or few are working there (way less than I set) why is that?
Free workers that can't swim will not help to build on a remote island. Similarly they can not help upgrade a building if they have not gone to school yet.
NudeRaider wrote:Also whats the difference between the green (free) and red (searching) workers in the diagram?
I don't know. Will ask them when i can test again ;)

Maybe you talk about that red and green numbers:
22(green)/50 = you have 50 jobs. 22 units are free to do more jobs.
-22(red)/50 = you have 50 jobs. 22 more units would be needed to work on all of them.
NudeRaider wrote:Help with any of those problem is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
You're welcome. Sorry for answering so late.

Giszmo
NudeRaider
Worker
Worker

Post by NudeRaider »

Ok got it, LAN doesn't work at all. That covers 2.)

But about not being able to play maps we edited is another issue. That refers to online games.
Actually I met noone that could host his own map online. Our games always crash (with custom map) as soon as we see the swarm.

Meanwhile I found out that the editor creates maps with version 0.59, but the maps provided with the installation .exe all have version 0.57. All of them work single player, but only v0.57 works online.

I will post an error report as soon as my friend and I will meet again for playing.

To summarize the crashes:
Single Player: everything works fine
Online Game: official maps (v0.57) work fine, edited ones (v0.59) crash
LAN Game: always crashes/freezes upon joining (you already traced that bug)

About the alliances I posted incorrect information. The computer always allies other comps. But still, how to change alliances for comps?
For example when we want a game 1 human and 1 comp vs 1 human and 1 comp.

Forbidden zones: That might be it. thx

Im aware of the color coding of the needed/free to total workers.
What I wanted to know was about the diagram on the right.
But I think I figured it now: searching (red) might be workers that try to get a resource but cannot find it atm. Free (green) is obvious.

But what I didn't know was that I need educated workers for higher level buildings. I thought education would just speed up the building progress. :? Well, now I know, thx. :wink: We are really quite new to that game 8)

OK, thanks for the info for now. I hope you can fix the editor-online-bug when I post the crash information.

Btw. I just noticed you are german... ich auch ;) Hi Gizmo :D
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

NudeRaider wrote:I will post an error report as soon as my friend and I will meet again for playing.
Ok. Then we will sort that out then. This will definitely be tested for the new release.
NudeRaider wrote:But still, how to change alliances for comps?
Bad news: This does not work yet. You can propose it on cofundos.org if you think people might give money to implement it or post on the bug tracker (if it doesn't exist there already) keep track of progress there.

Greetings, Giszmo
NudeRaider
Worker
Worker

Post by NudeRaider »

OK, here's the error message:

Assertion failed!
src\engine.cpp
Line 308
Expression false

I have no clue about how to use a bug tracker, but I hope this will suffice.

Btw. starting glob over command line or by double-clicking the exe made no difference: On crash a window opened, containing the above information.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

According to the source code, the game is stopping because it detects a desynchronization in the network between the clients. Kind of a stupid question but do you have the same versions of your maps? If so see if you can find a file named glob2.world-desynchronization.dump.txt which (hopefully) has the information to tell us what is causing the desync.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
NudeRaider
Worker
Worker

Post by NudeRaider »

Donkyhotay wrote:According to the source code, the game is stopping because it detects a desynchronization in the network between the clients. Kind of a stupid question but do you have the same versions of your maps?
1st post:
NudeRaider wrote:(We both have Version 0.9.1 (left number) and the right number is V 0.59.24)
About the maps: I can't say for sure as my friend isn't online atm. My research showed, that maps we edited (v0.59) don't work and maps with v0.57 DO work.
But I thought when I host a map then the others would receive the map automatically. Isn't that the case?
However we also tried transferring the map via email to ensure its no transmission error of globulation, but that resulted in the same crash.

Donkyhotay wrote:If so see if you can find a file named glob2.world-desynchronization.dump.txt which (hopefully) has the information to tell us what is causing the desync.
I have that file. Not sure whether its from the "online-multiplayer-edited-map"-crash though.
It is almost 5MB large. Where to upload it? Or eMail it to whom?
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

It should automatically transfer but if he has a different version of the map then it might not (code has changed alot since the last time I really dived into it so I'm not certain). Look at it this way, you make a map and give it to your friend (call it raidersmap for the example). While playing you realize that raidersmap isn't balanced and you need some more wheat at one of the starting locations. You make the changes and try playing with your friend again. Glob2 see's you both have raidersmap and doesn't download the new version but since your version of the map has some extra wheat your friends version doesn't you get desyncs. This is what I meant by making certain you have the same version of the maps. I would try sending your friend a copy of your map to him outside of glob2 (email or something) and have him put it in the maps directly manually and try again.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
NudeRaider
Worker
Worker

Post by NudeRaider »

We did that:
NudeRaider wrote: However we also tried transferring the map via email to ensure its no transmission error of globulation, but that resulted in the same crash.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

Strange, sounds like something that needs to go into the bugtracker:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=glob2
NudeRaider
Worker
Worker

Post by NudeRaider »

OK, I have created a topic on the bugtracker und uploaded both crash dumps.

Now it's up to you guys. ;)