Compile problem

Having trouble getting the game going or understanding something? Look no further.
Iliaarpad

Compile problem

Post by Iliaarpad »

Hi

I tried to compile the game with scons and I got the following:

scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for C library SDL... yes
Checking for C library SDL_ttf... yes
Checking for C library SDL_image... yes
Checking for C library SDL_net... yes
Checking for C library speex... yes
Checking for C header file speex/speex.h... yes
Checking for C library vorbisfile... yes
Checking for C header file zlib.h... yes
Checking for C library z... yes
Checking for C library boost_thread... no
Could not find libboost_thread or boost/thread/thread.hpp

However I am quite sure that I have emerged boost and there is a thread.hpp in /usr/include/boost/thread

What have I missed? Thanks in advance!
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

how did you install boost? If you used rpm/deb system did you also install dev versions too?
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
Iliaarpad

Post by Iliaarpad »

Okay, I figured out that it's actually missing the 'boost_thread' library, not the hpp-s. Are 'boost' and 'boost_thread' two separate things?

edit: Meanwhile I found an ebuild (a package for gentoo distributions) for globulation2 v0.8.23. This one seems to compile fine... Hmm...

edit: Yes, that ebuild works (compiles, installs and the game runs). Anyone any ideas?
K776
Warrior
Warrior

Post by K776 »

Yes, (lib)boost, and (lib)boost_thread are different packages on my system (and probably others). You'll have to install several of them to get the latest code to work (using the code from the RC I gather?)

Globulation 0.8.23 does not use scons, it uses automake. We replaced it in the latest code, so when the next version comes out, you'll have to get this working somehow (or wait till someone from debian makes a package which knows exactly what to install).
Kakeru

Post by Kakeru »

There isn't perhaps a more... step-by-step guide somewhere..... is there?
You know... for those of us who don't find these things obvious...
Farmer Glob
Worker
Worker

Post by Farmer Glob »

Is there an equivalent of the "build-essential" package for gentoo? Maybe if you use that.

This is the problem I was having, too. This was my first time compiling. I am using Ubuntu Feisty Fawn.

It also was telling me that it couldn't find that library. I had added it from synaptic, but when I'd do scons it told me it couldn't find it.

I even compiled the newest version of the lib boost directly from the website linked, instead of from the repos, thinking maybe that was the problem.

Eventually, I found this article https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/add-applic ... l#tarballs
and it said to get build-essential.

Once I did that, and ran scons, it ran through the checklist really slowly, but actually made it through. I guess it finds dependencies you lack and installs them for you.

After that, I had to type "scons install". And it worked.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

actually scons doesn't install dependencies automatically. If a dependency is missing it will stop and notify you of it during the configuration stage. Installing build-essential from the ubuntu repo's just installs the most common dependencies and compilers used. IMO I think it should be automatically installed by default and I'm surprised that they don't. Libboost is not part of the build-essential package but if you don't have build-essential it will report missing libs/apps that you might already have.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
Farmer Glob
Worker
Worker

Post by Farmer Glob »

Donkyhotay wrote:actually scons doesn't install dependencies automatically. If a dependency is missing it will stop and notify you of it during the configuration stage. Installing build-essential from the ubuntu repo's just installs the most common dependencies and compilers used. IMO I think it should be automatically installed by default and I'm surprised that they don't. Libboost is not part of the build-essential package but if you don't have build-essential it will report missing libs/apps that you might already have.
Thanks for the clarification.