The first ever Globulation 2 Tournament!!!!

All your base are belong to us! Pop in here to participate in the latest running tournament.
Genixpro
Developer

The first ever Globulation 2 Tournament!!!!

Post by Genixpro »

I think we should host a Globulation 2 tournament at 1.0. Certainly it will require plenty of planning, but by the time 1.0 arrives, we should be ready to start it off with a bang to rapidly increase interest in the game. And as well, hosting a pre 1.0 tournament would encourage net usage and find rare and unforseeable desyncs.

By the way, desyncs should silenty write out their dubbing information to the developers. This may sound kind of wierd, perhaps put a logging device on yog, and ona desync, glob2 will automatically mail all the nesseccary information to yog, and this can be checked reguarly. It might to help those problems where you desync and just move on, or you try too soon and forget to save your logs, and will also help with desync not involving the developers at all.

Anyway, back to the tournament. Heres my bid on a set of rules, and its not overcomplexification! Thir just a set of rules that allow the tournament to go over ong periods of time:

1) Every person gets a rank. This is how high up you are in the tournament.
2) You can only challenge people with a higher rank than you.
3) You can challenge people with a lower rank than you, but only if they agree
4) If you are challenged, you must fight, or lose your rank. If your unnavailable right away, you must be available within 2 or so days. Losing your rank isn't a bad thing for say, it just keeps the innactive people at the bottom of the lists. The person who challenged you does not automatically get your rank, just everyone bellow you goes up one.
5) For each battle against a higher ranked opponent that you win, you get your opponents rank, but you also get an increase in your score equivilent to their rank number.
6) For each battle against a lower ranked opponent that you lose, you get your opponents rank (which is certainly a bad thing since its lower), and you get a score equivilent to your own rank number added to your "loss" score. So if you get a lucky
7) At the end of the tournament, your final rank is determined by the average score of the games in which you won subtract the average score of the games in which you lost.

This system works well once the tournament is in motion. If for example, you play a battle, and suddenly your at the top, (and their are ten players), you would now have a score of 10, and rank 10. But then this guy ranked at 1 challenges you and beats you, you become rank 1, and he becomes rank 10, you lose 10 points, he gains 10 points. Say a rank 7 challenges a rank 9, if the rank 7 wins, he/she gains 9 points and becoems the rank 9 player, where as the rank 9 loses 9 points and becomes rank 7.

I'm not actually sure if this system works though, I think the rules are flawed and i just can't tell. Optimunly, the tournament rules should allow the tournament to go on for a long period of time, allow for players to join in halfway into the tournament, and not give the win to players who just play more often, or players that keep owning noobs again and again.
AppleBoy
Site Admin

Post by AppleBoy »

too complicated, let's do this old style, however many players, 1v1, winner moves on, or 2out of 3. move up the ranks until the last two go.
seems fair to me, don't you think?
Genixpro
Developer

Post by Genixpro »

I think the tournament should folo some simple rules. You should not have to sign up before the tournament begins, especially if we want to use it to "launch" 1.0. You should not have to be playing 24/7 or even 2/4 to win the tournament. We should be able to play 4, 5 or even 6 player games, especially if the net player community grows to such a level that it would become a regular thing.

For games like glob2, its essential that the torunament go over a long period of time, rather than just a week and its done, it should be a thing of three or four months.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

why tournament? why not ranking without time-limit?

Post by Giszmo »

i like systems where you redistribute the same numbers all the time. so every player starts with 0 points and depending on their difference they redistribute their points. basically taking the likelyness of the result as a messure would work. so if a top rated wins against the last, almost no points are redistributed. the other way round, the system wide max. number gets redistributed.

1000 beats 0 -> min. point redistribution -> 1001:-1
0 beats 1000 -> max. point redistribution -> 980:20
100 beats 110 -> 105:105
110 beats 100 -> 113:97

(exact formulas to be discussed)

but as with new accounts the outcome of matches can not be estimated well, there is some damping neccessary for opponents with drastically differing ranks. (noob bashing should not be supported by the ranking system) damping can also be handled by some factor like min(yogGamesPlayed/30,1).

one important aspect: 5player games occure. yes they do ;)
the winner gets 2 points from every looser?
teamwise average taken into account for what team members get after the game (fixed teams neccessary for that one)?

giszmo
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

ladder system?

Post by Donkyhotay »

I don't know enough about YOG to know for certain but is it possible to set up a permenant ladder system into the game like SC or war3 has? Tournaments could then simply be set up using ladder rules.
Picaso55

Just do it

Post by Picaso55 »

So, don't care about rules, just start to play, time will tell us what things we have to change but don't u think that the best way it's playing and trying????

Just make the tournament, after it finish we can discuss pros and contras, LET'S START TO PLAY!!!! :D :) 8)
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

simply join yog and play. unfortunately due to some bugs that make online play a bit complicated we didn't hit the critical mass when there are always open games to join, so bring along friends if you want to play.
GameDealer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by GameDealer »

It would be very difficult because at the moment the servers are down.
P.S are the servers down or is it my computer?
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

my gf forbid me to install glob2 now so i can not verify but yog should be online. i played only yesterday.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

I just tried it myself today (10/30/07) and was able to connect to YOG without any problems.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
GameDealer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by GameDealer »

Ok thanks for telling me I will try now.
GameDealer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by GameDealer »

I just tried and does not work, are you using wireless conection or wired?
GameDealer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by GameDealer »

don't answer that I tried does not work.
Have you changed setting's or something?
GameDealer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by GameDealer »

How do I play online?

You must connect to a server, right now there is only one: the Ysagoon Online Gaming (YOG) server. If you want to add your own server, contact the Ysagoon team to see if the game is ready for multiple servers. The new YOG server will refuse to let you play if you use an older version of the game, however the older YOG versions allowed you to play against people with different versions.

Found this somewere were do you upgrade?
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

pardon?

it definitely is and always was impossible to play across different versions of glob2. the slightest change in the game engine would lead to a desync.

please correct the source of your information if it is in the wiki.

thanx,

giszmo