Torunament?

All your base are belong to us! Pop in here to participate in the latest running tournament.
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Torunament?

Post by Zenfur »

Does anyone want an tournament? If so, everyone who would want to play, please, post here, I will make a list. Rules we'll make later. We would also discuss how it should look like and on what maps should we play.

1. You mustn't behave as AIEvil
2. You mustn't build markets (they are bugged for now)
3. Quitting doesn't mean loosing, game in which someone has quitted should be continued of autosave, if not possible, play it again.

Giszmo: I am afraid of posting anything on the wiki, because of my poor English :(

L I S T
- Zenfur
- Giszmo
- Kobuta (piglet)
- Kokolihapihvi
- Pejsek
- hughht55
- Appleboy
- john
- migi
- ho
- aaron
Last edited by Zenfur on Sun May 24, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Greetings!! ت
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Torunament?

Post by Giszmo »

I'd be in. feel free to start something on the wiki ;)
Kobuta
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kobuta »

I'm in :D
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

Ohh... Come on, only 3 persons?
Greetings!! ت
Kobuta
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kobuta »

we can find more people, but must ask in the chat!
I'm sure pejsek, for one, would join...
Kokolihapihvi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kokolihapihvi »

Throw me in the ring.
Kobuta
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kobuta »

any Idea about the rules?
map?
Kokolihapihvi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kokolihapihvi »

Some rules:

-No Markets :o
-disconnecting doesn't mean victory but game will be continued from the last save.
pejsek
Worker
Worker

Post by pejsek »

Do you think anyone else will join? Regardless of the finite number of players, can we proceed to discussion about the tournament itself?
1) System - Is it going to be everyone-fights-everyone tournament or play-off or something else? And will it be always 1v1 game?
2) Maps - Small/medium/big maps? It is crucial to choose well balanced maps. And the map in particular game - should it be chosen by draw (matter of luck) or by players themself?
3) Should we make complex rules or shall we just play? I suggest Zenfur should decide everything, for he is the initiator and mastremind of this tournament.
4) Eventual prize - Zenfur, are you thinking of some motivation for us? (o:
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

Do you think anyone else will join?
How about a deadline?
1) System - Is it going to be everyone-fights-everyone tournament or play-off or something else? And will it be always 1v1 game?
i would say there should be no more than 5 games to be played. that would mean that up to 6 players would play everyone against everyone. (players decide if they want to play best of 1,3,5,... with a preference for the shorter pick). for more than 6 players it would be ko-system.
2) Maps - Small/medium/big maps? It is crucial to choose well balanced maps. And the map in particular game - should it be chosen by draw (matter of luck) or by players themself?
i'd like to see "four squares" (4²) among the maps to chose from. else i would say we role a dice for a map for each round with a given list of balanced maps and if the combatants agree on a different map, it's up to them.
3) Should we make complex rules or shall we just play? I suggest Zenfur should decide everything, for he is the initiator and mastremind of this tournament.
The AIEvil-thing is a point. One weakness for later tournaments that i see in the rules above is that people might make the game crash on purpose, look at the savegame in the editor and use that info to win. on the other hand it is almost as easy as compiling the game to remove the fog of war in ones client.
4) Eventual prize - Zenfur, are you thinking of some motivation for us? (o:
pfff... i'd say the winner may be honorably mentioned as the best player on our front page. Or at least as the winner of the first tournament. A note on when the next tournament is scheduled would maybe get us more players next round.

Regards

P.S.:
Checkout http://globulation2.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tournament
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

*1)System: Cause we are only 7, we'll fight everyone to everyone and count wins. Yes, it will be always 1v1 game. Later we may create 2v2 tournament but not with only 7 guys...
*2)Maps: Large, small, medium, it only depends of this how map is balanced. We should create map list soon. Are you going to help me or I should choose them by myself?
*3)Rules: Well.. rule won't be complex, just some to avoid crashing and cheating. It's all for pleasure
*4)Prize: Uh... I think that awareness of being the strongest player IS something ;) If it isn't enough I may dedicate the next map for the winner :)

Giszmo: 3): Yeah that's weird thing... but I think that our players won't do this, I count on your honesty for now, but for later tournaments we should make a rule for that, but it's hard to prove...
Btw, by removing fog won't you get sync error?
Greetings!! ت
pejsek
Worker
Worker

Post by pejsek »

Giszmo wrote:
i'd like to see "four squares" (4²) among the maps to chose from. else i would say we role a dice for a map for each round with a given list of balanced maps and if the combatants agree on a different map, it's up to them.
I'm afraid I can't find this map, it is not in maps that come with game nor in YOG depository
Giszmo wrote:One weakness for later tournaments that i see in the rules above is that people might make the game crash on purpose, look at the savegame in the editor and use that info to win.
I agree, this could be unfair advantage. How can it be solved?
Kobuta
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kobuta »

I'd like one of my balanced maps in the list!!!
they're balanced!!!

I think there's no real problem. nothing's at stake, there's no real reason to cheat
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

Kobuta: I think that we are going to play 1v1 maps... I didn't find any of your map 1v1. Well, we can also play maps for 4 players by 2 players... like ur "balanced" map, do you agree?

By the way, I want discussion on irc about maps, everyone make propositions and I also want to some of my maps get there... (If you agree :P)
Greetings!! ت
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

I'm afraid I can't find this map, it is not in maps that come with game nor in YOG depository
http://hg.globulation2.org/glob2-new/fi ... ee7d/maps/
there i can see it. that revision is tagged beta4.1

info hacks can not be made impossible without a server-client-architecture which would in return make other hacks possible or a punkbuster kind of thing that would have to be closed source i guess. come up with ideas but i would say as long as we don't have replay facility, we will not even be able to get hints of info hacks being used.
Btw, by removing fog won't you get sync error?
no
I'd like one of my balanced maps in the list!!!
they're balanced!!!
suggest them by their names.

maps for 4 players like 4² are also nice for 2 players as they may expand although i didn't profit from such moves so far. else it is not a problem to have some desert around the battle ground.