Torunament?

All your base are belong to us! Pop in here to participate in the latest running tournament.
Kobuta
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Torunament?

Post by Kobuta »

I did suggest by the name XD
the map is called balanced, for 4 players
then there is balanced for 2
and balanced for 3

I'd like to use balance for 2, cos up to now it's always been a fun map, and there are many ways of playing it :D :D
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Maps

Post by Zenfur »

I agree to Kobuta. Map balanced for 2 is fitting here :) I'd also suggest to use my ZigZac. I think that we should choose 5 maps, 3 small, 2 medium (like Mazury) and play everyone to everyone on EVERY map. I suggest this because we are very little :) Tournament will last one week. I want to play everyone to everyone, not ko system because we are in different time zones...

regards
Greetings!! ت
pejsek
Worker
Worker

Post by pejsek »

Zenfur, you added map "Green fields"? It isn't in YOG repository.
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

Yes I did, it's in my mappackage, we don't talk about ONLY DEFAULT MAPS, do we? I'll upload it if it's a problem
Greetings!! ت
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

if the crashes that we had yesterday were not related to bugs in the map i doubt there is any need to limit maps to those in the distribution. i'd just like to exclude maps with scripting. no maps for example that spawn me units if i send an explorer to a destination the other players don't know ;)
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

Giszmo: explorers don't return true in area("destination", player-number) :)
And I think that it's obvious.
Greetings!! ت
pejsek
Worker
Worker

Post by pejsek »

I was probably misunderstood, sorry for confusing post. My point was that maps that are going to be in the tournament, should in my opinion be added to YOG online repository, for there might be different versions of maps and somebody might be even not visiting this forum and the maps are in different topics. I mentioned Green fields, because I've never heard of it before and since it hasn't been at YOG, I didn't know where to find it to take a look at it. Bud I managed to find it in Zenfur's map topic at last, so no problem with Green fields anymore. :) The same problem I had with four squares, for example. Maybe I'm confusing due to my bad english, I just take czech words and try to translate them.
Kokolihapihvi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kokolihapihvi »

pejsek wrote:I was probably misunderstood, sorry for confusing post. My point was that maps that are going to be in the tournament, should in my opinion be added to YOG online repository, for there might be different versions of maps and somebody might be even not visiting this forum and the maps are in different topics. I mentioned Green fields, because I've never heard of it before and since it hasn't been at YOG, I didn't know where to find it to take a look at it. Bud I managed to find it in Zenfur's map topic at last, so no problem with Green fields anymore. :) The same problem I had with four squares, for example. Maybe I'm confusing due to my bad english, I just take czech words and try to translate them.
I guess there has been some problems with uploading map to YOG. And I recommend a map called "WhySoSimplehmm" which is available from the YOG Map Repository. :P
ho_

Post by ho_ »

I have a comment on abolishing "bad behavior". This is something I haven't seen anywhere else. I agree that I am also afraid of what opponent can do to me. But do we ban him for being too bad?
I don't ever want to be in the position that if I come up with something new that nobody is prepared for and use it to my advantage and win I will be blamed for cheating. I'm sorry but what is that? Are we trying to make a difference between being bad (trying to kill me) and being very cheatingly bad (trying to kill you very hard)?
This doesn't sound to me very sound. And mostly: who will decides what is cheating? You? Me? Elton John?

I already had a conversation with Zenfur and his argument is that it breaks down the pleasure of playing. How long does a pro game in Starcraft take? (I know you know - less then 8 minutes). I don't mind going away from game in about 10 minutes because i lost - i learned something. BTW, have you heard about SCV rush (if not use google)? I don't think anybody ever anticipated something like that and still it's on. Is that cheating in starcraft?

Playing is a game and you should have fun inventing things. No tell me, do you really want to abolish "cheating"?

Ho
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

I wouldn't compare SCV rush to building wall around every building before anyone get warriors...
Greetings!! ت
ho_

Post by ho_ »

shouldn't we think about calling it a map bug? adding one warrior to beginning would fix that. Isn't that a problem of the map?

Ho
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

With building a wall I agree to you, because now building won't set if you don't discover map, or don't send explorer, one warrior would fix that. With allying to rush - teams fixed feature. But I still think that doing that will take from this game a bit of pleasure... I've seen almost everywhere bad behaviours, but they were not because every player liked them, but because developers didn't know how to make them unable to do. (I don't tell right now about "being nice" rule)
Greetings!! ت
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

The first(?) globulation tournament ever has started today at 18:00 CET, more info on the wiki
Greetings!! ت
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

consider cheating all kind of behaviour that exploits bugs or very poorly balanced aspects of the game that are well known to those playing the game or reading things like AIEvil. The plan to build somewhere should not be blocking. that's a bug. read about it and you see most agree on that. with map explored you can instantly exploit it by setting hundreds of wall segments in the enemy base all with 0 workers assigned. even with a warrior you take your time removing those. same with the other things in AIEvil. win the tournament with whatever tactic you invent but just don't spam walls. same with allying with the enemy: this should only be an offer and always be symmetric. in one on ones this cheat does not work as allying with one opponent makes you loose instantly. still in a 2on2 it would be cheating as it breaks the intended behaviour of warriors to stop at the first hostile building or unit while workers can walk past.
pejsek
Worker
Worker

Post by pejsek »

How is it going with the tournament? Seems pretty stagnating.