hi

For general chat that doesn't fit in any of the other forums below.
fede
Explorer
Explorer

hi

Post by fede »

Hello ppl,
i'm new to this game, have found it in ubuntu repo. It's long time i'm looking for a good rts on linux, and this game is far far better than i would espect!
The main purpose of this game
Globulation 2 is an innovative Real-Time Strategy (RTS) game which reduces micro-management by automatically assigning tasks to units.
could easily be my gamelife profile!
I was addicted to rts since dune2 on 486, my next love for years has been Starcraft.
Sadly last 5+ years quality of this category is really poor. My last game in topic was Warcraft3 (where i still play only mods - aka custom maps) which is hardly involved to micro-management rather a game variety by strats.

I think this new love is going to grow, i found where to put happily some of my few sparetime :mrgreen:

Tonight i discovered that there have been Campaign in older glob2 versions.
Where can i have some info about creating new ones?
I'm not giving promises, my time isn't that much, and prolly my skills not enough... Just for information :roll:

Well.. time to sleep here.
Meet you on battlefields :twisted:
Blizzard SuCKs
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Re: hi

Post by Giszmo »

hi fede,

there are other interesting rts out there. my little brother loves total commander, the successor of total annihilation what had an innovative command queue system at its time.

campaigns got broken through changes in the code. you can recreate them using the mapeditor with its scripting. easiest would be to copy the campaign maps to the maps folder, edit them looking at the script part and create new maps using the same syntax. once those maps are done, copy them back to the campaigns folder and manage campains through the editor again.

if you create something that works well, we will integrate it in the next release as the missing campaigns is something asked for a lot ;)

greetings,

giszmo
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

Hi fede, do you still play globulation? If you are looking for good RTS opensource games, I can recommend you 2 games, globulation2 and spring project :). I'd like to make this forum more active, advertise it a bit, download irc and discuss there a little too.
Greetings!! ت
Kobuta
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kobuta »

it definitely needs advertising, but how do you advertise?
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

That's hard question. It's hard to advertise for free :). One of ways are services like happypengiun.org. Thankful of that I am here :). Also wikipedia & google updating. Other way is telling your friends about the game (those who like original RTS), and hope that they will tell for their friends. I will make annimaded gif banner advertising globulation, may download it and set it on other forums, maybe someone will click on it? Of course don't set this little advertisement on forums where it's not allowed to do that.

I'll set the advertisement here, when will be done.
Greetings!! ت
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

That's hard question. It's hard to advertise for free
If money is the problem, let me know. We definitely should have money if there is a good concept to use it on. For example I'm no fan of google but if you dig into their adwords system and prepare a campaign, it will get payed up to say 2oo$ as a test baloon and if it "generates" us a developer we can continue feeding google. But keep in mind that we rather need programmers and maintainers than only players as most players that first see the game are fascinated by the "new" (it's years old now) approach and love it but don't stick with it as it has its flaws and is far from being final.
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

Giszmo wrote:If money is the problem, let me know. We definitely should have money if there is a good concept to use it on. For example I'm no fan of google but if you dig into their adwords system and prepare a campaign, it will get payed up to say 2oo$ as a test baloon and if it "generates" us a developer we can continue feeding google.
I don't think I'll be able to do something like that and that devs will like advertisement like that. I don't have an idea how to interest devs. Not every programmer want to work for free for opensource projects. I guess if we can "borrow" devs from popular and very good projects as wesnoth and spring. I really don't have idea. (and about money I don't think we'll suck Giszmo's wallet :P)
Greetings!! ت
Kobuta
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kobuta »

I don't think it's easy to interest devs if there is actually no players to make the game for.
if there were a player community, and this forum was active, it would definitely be easier to find developers.
the game is not that flawed, it can obviously improve, but it's still got no major problem, is pretty balanced, variable and fun.

I think we should concentrate on finding players.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

as i said: we have many new players. 1 per day on average. each of them is enthusiastic about glob2 and many offer to help here and there. so with about 5 being active now that is 5days per new user on average? great. now if we generate 10 joining per day we end up with 50 actives on average as long as we keep the campaign going and then? we need to extend the time people stay with glob2. only if they are caring about their ranking on the glob2-ladder and want to defend their status or when they keep track how people like their maps and campaigns people will stay. starting with beta4 we finally can satisfy the latter need but we failed to provide the binaries and also it is just a start.
Kobuta
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Kobuta »

but that's it, having a community.
every time you see a new player online try getting him on the forum...
if the forum is more active people may find reasons to stick to it longer...
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

i try to get them coding ;) point them to scm, mailing list, irc ...
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

I agree with both of you and I guess that active forum is a key to find ppl.
Greetings!! ت
fede
Explorer
Explorer

Post by fede »

hi all,
i was living in an other city for long, so i disappeared. Soon i will be back in my old life, and probably will get back my old habits. Hello again :D
Zenfur, i saw your work and enthusiasm, happy to meet you here :)
Talking about the developer needs: i think that glob2 miss a real enthusiastic community.
I played a year on tremulous (open fps game based on quake2 source) which got lots national communities, where each community taking care of one or more game servers, forums (php programmers, mods and so on), tourneys (ppl taking care of organizations, scores and so on), clans....
I think that if you get 30 fanatic players, they will make some little clans, trying to show how they are good. These clans will require a place to talk about game -> game forum. The forum will need some polite moderators which play in clans but do their work "over sides". This helps to keep people interested in project, and make more people know about this. I think the best advertising method is the satisfaction for the game. More people get involved, more start work on it. When i saw unskilled people join a race to make the new banner for the community i was really happy, because the world is not splitted between "coders" and "not coders". A good game is a mix of many skills all together. A good community is a mix of many different opinions, skills and pleasure to improve the environment.
That's why i think that a coder which spend whole free time into the code and doesn't join community like a medieval monk copying books isn't a solution.

If i join the game online for 4 different times and i don't find anyone to play with... i won't join online anymore.
It's about make ppl feel closer to others. My question is: there is a coding way to improve communications? To help people to meet easily in games? This should be IMHO the first coders TODO, rather than game evolutions.

:D
Blizzard SuCKs
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

i see how the new upload maps feature made players enthusiast about showing each other what they did. next i hope we will have a replay function that also is suitable to show others how they did. else i agree that a good community leads to development but a game that crashes every second is not good to bind people.
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

This may be stupid post, because I (again) write the same, I agree to both of you... During reading fede's post I bumped into an idea, but I forgot it a while later... I remember only that it was a good idea... Ah! I remembered it! I added it to the feedback forum.
Greetings!! ت