Popularity of the Game

For general chat that doesn't fit in any of the other forums below.
Wh1sper
Worker
Worker

Popularity of the Game

Post by Wh1sper »

Or better to say: Who knows about Globulation?
I, for myself came across the game by an accident in searching for strategic games for Linux.
Luckilily!
I am owning a little German private Site, that regulary reports about nice multiplatform and Linuxgames. I plan a little article about Globulation 2.
I wonder if here are some native German Language speakers around.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

there are native germans here

Post by Giszmo »

hi!

what's the url of your site? feel free to advertise and please don't forget to mention that although globulation2 is highly playable we can never have enough supporters.

and don't forget to list your article here!

greetings, Giszmo
Wh1sper
Worker
Worker

Post by Wh1sper »

Ok, have added my Site to the wiki.
the url is http://zockertown.de/s9y/ like in my profile :)
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

game has potential

Post by Donkyhotay »

I think this game is onto something. I'm a big starcraft fan. I was really dissapointed with the direction war3 took . Admittedly the micro is much easier but on the other hand it's ALL about the micromanagement. The move towards macromanagement is something I've wanted to see implemented before but never could see a way to do so effectively. The way glob2 works with the flags and zones is very innovative. This game will probably end up like moonbase commander, the best game nobody has ever heard of. The fact that it's GPL is a plus. I would like to see this game grow in the GPL community but it looks like the only people that know about about it are linux users looking for RTS's (like me).
AppleBoy
Site Admin

Post by AppleBoy »

well, I can tell you for a fact that the game is growing :)
http://globulation2.org/awstats
Ridehard
Worker
Worker

Post by Ridehard »

yop, new fan here ^^ runnning on windows XP
..Someone told me about it and I had to try it.
K776
Warrior
Warrior

Post by K776 »

My story: I found it when installing all games on the linux distribution cds I had at the time, played it once or twice, then forgot about it for months (cause back then it was very, um, not like now'ish :P ). Then I got the new cds for the linux distro, which had an updated version of Globulation 2 (alpha 12 I think it was). I tried it. Much better that the previous version I'd played, but still 100%. But I kept playing it every now and then. Time went by, decided to check out the website, which turned out to be the old pmwiki. And I downloaded and successfully compiled my second app. Then I was hooked. Hung around, downloading new versions, new wiki opened, and I started to contribute. And here I am.

Whats your story?
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

how I found glob2

Post by Donkyhotay »

I found glob2 on happypenguin.org doing a search for RTS games. I had just made the transition from XP to FC4 and had been frustrated that starcraft wouldn't wine very well. At that time the game was at version .18 and while I thought it was pretty cool I found a bug I was a big letdown as it prevented me from hosting LAN games. Given the fact it was my only gripe with the game and the best native linux RTS I could find I downloaded the source, fixed the bug, and been hooked ever since. Strangely enough I actually enjoy tweaking the code more then I playing the game but the game itself is pretty cool. My only main gripe is the game needs at least one more unit. I think Stephs idea of a shadow glob would be about right but I don't have the time or skills to implement a whole new unit.
[anonymized]
Worker
Worker

Re: how I found glob2

Post by [anonymized] »

Donkyhotay wrote:I found glob2 on happypenguin.org doing a search for RTS games. I had just made the transition from XP to FC4
Same here - except transition from mostly using windows 2000 (I had redhat 7 too) to using fc1 full time.
Dr Sketch

Post by Dr Sketch »

Well, I don't know how popular it is yet, but I know that I'm getting hooked very quickly, and I haven't even TOUCHED online play yet!

I'm new to RTS, and heard that this might be a great game to get started on. I downloaded it to my laptop (running Ubuntu Linux 64 bit) and have been hooked ever since! I tried playing some of the pre-built campaigns, but just decided to jump right in and learn as I go.

Great game everyone! Thanks to all the programmers/designers/etc for building such a wonderful system. Looking forward to seeing what happens "long-term" with this...
Theblob
Worker
Worker

Post by Theblob »

I fell in love with Age of Empires III when I spent a week with a friend who owns it, but I don't really want to shell out $50 for it right now, so I was looking around on the Internet for some RTS games I could play on Linux, which the only OS I have on my desktop right now. I came across Globulation2 in a search for RTS games at happypenguin.org. Although I have SuSE 10.0, I actually downloaded the Mandriva version of the game, because it looked so easy to install. (Actually Yast did everything for me.) Anyways, I am really enjoying the game... it's very unusual, but with the same "conquer-everybody-else" features that I love in RTS games--except with no blood--that's nice! :) I am already trying to convince other people to try it out!
Dino
Worker
Worker

Post by Dino »

i found glob through "apt" on my debian system ;) I was searching for a new game to play and felt in love with glob

I told a lot of friends about it - and thats (i think) the most important type for projects like glob of "ads".
SIDS-1-1

Post by SIDS-1-1 »

I've played through the tutorial on xp through a command prompt, doesn't load from my shortcuts at all. I want more before I jump into map editing, see how the logic plays out. I can't find campaigns anywhere in the downloaded glob2-0.8.21_win32/campaigns package. Are there any available and where do I get them. A link on the main page for campaigns/contributions, including finished campaigns in the latest stable release and testing campaings in the latest build would help a lot :D

I'm currently scouring the forums for a hint of where I can find any.

Great concepts btw. I look forward to seeing what I can contribute.
Elvish Pillager
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Elvish Pillager »

My story? I found Glob2 on the Mac downloads site. I was on a Mac then. That was around alpha 13. I played for a while, developed some cool strategies, helped in development - then alpha 15 rolled around and it stopped working on Mac. Flash forward a long time (almost a year?) and I'm installing Gentoo GNU/Linux. A few days later, I installed alpha 18 and had a good time! Unfortunately it wasn't much better than alpha 13 had been. So I coded some new stuff, and the new alpha 21 is actually different! :P
To feed good generals, you need good food. To grow good food, you need good pastures. To capture good pastures, you need good generals.
Donkyhotay
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Donkyhotay »

SIDS-1-1 wrote:I've played through the tutorial on xp through a command prompt, doesn't load from my shortcuts at all. I want more before I jump into map editing, see how the logic plays out. I can't find campaigns anywhere in the downloaded glob2-0.8.21_win32/campaigns package. Are there any available and where do I get them. A link on the main page for campaigns/contributions, including finished campaigns in the latest stable release and testing campaings in the latest build would help a lot :D

I'm currently scouring the forums for a hint of where I can find any.

Great concepts btw. I look forward to seeing what I can contribute.
I use syncmaps on my linux box and manually copy the maps to my windows machine from there. I have the campaign maps uploaded onto my website which is
http://mysite.verizon.net/donkyhotay/gl ... 32-CVS.zip
There is also an updated windows binary there which has the flag desync bug fixed on it however if you just want the campaign then then it really doesn't matter which binary you use.
do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.