Very puzzled

For general chat that doesn't fit in any of the other forums below.
Erk

Very puzzled

Post by Erk »

I just found globulation. It's an excellent game with a very nearly finished feel. I expected the community to be booming.

This place is like a tomb... what's happened? Is there anyone lurking about who can explain the lack of interest in finishing globulation? It's like 1 version behind a ver1 release! Why is there not a teeming community of devs and contributors trying to get it to professional level, like other open-source strategy game projects at that level?

From my limited experience, I noticed a few things to start...
1) I hunted around for several minutes and could not find a list of contributor requests. There is no page of art that's needed, no page of systems that are being programmed, nothing like that. Usually open-source projects put those right on the front page. What gives?
2) There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in attracting people from other communities and alerting people to globulation's existence. I dunno about that one too much, except that I only found it by tripping over it in apt-get on xubuntu. Bit of a niche market there.

I think globulation is pretty frigging awesome. I am an artist (without too much time for big projects, but enough to contribute) and I'd love to see it go somewhere further. Where are all the secret files on helping kept? Where are all the players and developers?

Cheers!
Erk
Dravonk

Post by Dravonk »

It is rather quiet here, that's right. I found this game by a debian package, too.

You can find the Developer Center in the navigation bar. You probably get more responses from the mailing list than from the forum.

I myself want to write code for this project and started with a quite simple idea, but unfortunatly I didn't find the time to continue. I hope I will do so soon.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

Hi guys!

What Dravonk says is right. Forum is not the place the devs hang out. Very little dev-talk can be found on the irc and most in the ml.
From time to time I force myself to answer things here (now my last visit here was november!) but on the ml all devs answer almost within houres. Check the mirror of the ml here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/glob2-devel/
or register here:
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/glob2-devel