Small things I believe would help a lot

For general chat that doesn't fit in any of the other forums below.
munkbusiness
Worker
Worker

Small things I believe would help a lot

Post by munkbusiness »

So this is just my own list of things that I think could use a little improvement:

Interface:
- In the hosting/joining section when you arrange teams, I think the "other options" is unnecessary and those options should just be visible right away, there is a lot of space available next to the list of players, also team arranging is core and not just an "other" option.
- When hosting/joining lan games it should show your own IP, instead of you having to go to a website or something to find it, something I think should be simple to implement.
- When joining a game on lan what is the big box called "available local games" used for? i might just be doing something wrong, but when I connect with hamachi it doesn't show any available games, I need to simply click the connect button.
- the "sever hostname" field seems worded wrong, again I might just be doing it wrong, but from my experience this is where you put the IP of the one you want to connect to, and therefore having it say server hostname with localhost as default is very misleading, and it took me a long time to figure out this was where you put the IP.
- The front screen need to be more inviting currently I do not know what to improve it with, but the plain grass field, is just to boring.

- The wiki should be an extra option to go to, but in general the website needs to be a little more clean and user friendly as well as more attractive for the average gamer (that does not know what Linux is, but just know that free games are nice). As I can webdesign I might upload an example of what I mean up sometime in the near future.

Game mechanics:
- It would be nice with more options on the flags to customize tactics with, for example having and option on warflag to require swimmers or fast runners of certain levels, this makes it way easier to plan strategic attacks instead of just having a warflag and watching 3 units go over the sea while the rest with different running speed tries to go in the normal way.

When all this is said I really think this game is great and I will continue playing it, for a long time.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Small things I believe would help a lot

Post by Giszmo »

munkbusiness wrote:- In the hosting/joining section when you arrange teams, I think the "other options" is unnecessary and those options should just be visible right away, there is a lot of space available next to the list of players, also team arranging is core and not just an "other" option.
the target resolution is 800x600 i guess. does this hold true for this resolution, too?
munkbusiness wrote:- When hosting/joining lan games it should show your own IP, instead of you having to go to a website or something to find it, something I think should be simple to implement.
true, but we lack of developers. maybe you want to put that on uservoice?
munkbusiness wrote:- When joining a game on lan what is the big box called "available local games" used for? i might just be doing something wrong, but when I connect with hamachi it doesn't show any available games, I need to simply click the connect button.
no idea ... sorry.
munkbusiness wrote:- the "sever hostname" field seems worded wrong, again I might just be doing it wrong, but from my experience this is where you put the IP of the one you want to connect to, and therefore having it say server hostname with localhost as default is very misleading, and it took me a long time to figure out this was where you put the IP.
we really lack of programmers to look into these things. maybe uservoice is a good place to get things rated for relevance?
munkbusiness wrote:- The front screen need to be more inviting currently I do not know what to improve it with, but the plain grass field, is just to boring.
a demo game in the background would be nice. again we lack the programmers ...
munkbusiness wrote:- The wiki should be an extra option to go to, but in general the website needs to be a little more clean and user friendly as well as more attractive for the average gamer (that does not know what Linux is, but just know that free games are nice). As I can webdesign I might upload an example of what I mean up sometime in the near future.
I would oppose to having a static html somewhat extra to the wiki. What we lack is support and we need every hand that can do content and an easy way to contribute that content to not lose a hand.
munkbusiness wrote:Game mechanics:
- It would be nice with more options on the flags to customize tactics with, for example having and option on warflag to require swimmers or fast runners of certain levels, this makes it way easier to plan strategic attacks instead of just having a warflag and watching 3 units go over the sea while the rest with different running speed tries to go in the normal way.
you can gather a group of swimmers by placing the flag completely in water. that also is good for them to not turn hungry that fast as hunger depends on the distance walked/swam.
munkbusiness wrote:When all this is said I really think this game is great and I will continue playing it, for a long time.
:)
munkbusiness
Worker
Worker

Post by munkbusiness »

- It holds true for the resolution 800x600 just tested, here is an image: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2189529/glob_space.jpg

- Uservoice? On the other hand, it is lan so people might misunderstand this as another way to play over the internet without crazy lag.

- Placing a flag in water and waiting for it to gather, increase micro which seems to be a bad thing for this game.

- You oppose a static website, how could that be, the wiki would still be the primary source of information, but oh well I guess I understand your open source viewpoint. Will still make a demo of what I mean.
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

About demo, Giszmo, how about recording some of cool games with replays feature and later display it in the background? Such thing would be operation consuming, so probably would be by many people disabled :)

Uservoice: site to place your idea and vote for other ones (my heaven)
http://glob2.uservoice.com/

About water and warriors I agree. There also should be some priorities for warriors, if they can swim they more willingly go to swim only flag and so on...
About flags, I have already posted an idea on the uservoice, I believe, that tells about instant occasional-need flags which are bounded to a target, for example building/unit which have the highest priority. They will disappear if fog of war covers them... ideas, ideas ideas... :P

Check res 640x480 as well. It was a point to make it playable at this resolution as well, but I over all agree to use the free space. For example to display the minimap picture... It annoys me when I am joining a game of someone's and I don't know the form of it. Magnifing the minimap should be also possible.

About the wiki pages and stuff I didn't find it hostile, you know...
When all this is said I really think this game is great and I will continue playing it, for a long time.
:mrgreen:
Greetings!! ت
munkbusiness
Worker
Worker

Post by munkbusiness »

Yea seing the map would help a ton. BTW about flags priority doesn't seem to work to well on warrior flags. I had one with low and one with high, low had 15/20, high had 2/20...
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

munkbusiness wrote:Yea seing the map would help a ton. BTW about flags priority doesn't seem to work to well on warrior flags. I had one with low and one with high, low had 15/20, high had 2/20...
True, it's a bug I believe, forgot to report it.
Greetings!! ت
munkbusiness
Worker
Worker

Post by munkbusiness »

Good to have someone that understands (or want to use time on) the bug tracker ;)