Still in development?

For general chat that doesn't fit in any of the other forums below.
munkbusiness
Worker
Worker

Still in development?

Post by munkbusiness »

Hi
I have played this game a lot recently, and I was simply wondering if it was still being worked on or if the project was dead, and only left for the fans? Because if it is still in development I would like to contribute, but if that is not the case I do not feel like contributing to a dead project.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Still in development?

Post by Giszmo »

Hi Munkbusiness,

well ... this is always the same hen-egg-problem. if people code, others join. if nobody codes, nobody joins. so if you can contribute, we (the devs that have coded before you and the players that love the game) invite you to show others that glob2 isn't dead.

but now for some motivation:
* there are several forks of glob2 from people who worked on glob2 that don't show up in the main repository due to unfinished projects
* nicktime, the most recent contributor of bigger code parts promised last week to work on glob2 again. he wants to fix game desyncs.
* i constantly provide (although minimalistic) support to keep the servers running. spammer removal on wiki and forum and recently even a revert to a one day old backup as the whole system was hacked.
* we have cool features in beta5 that would so much deserve beta5 being released. replay is only the most prominent of those features. it works - for local games but needs some fix for net games and with those beta5 could be released.

regards,

Giszmo
munkbusiness
Worker
Worker

Post by munkbusiness »

Sounds very good I do not know any computer coding, but I know a lot about web designing and web programming as well as graphic production and video production. I will list some of the things I find important to improvement in another post. Do you know if any of the core creators would accept a new web design, because I find the current wiki style to be a huge flaw, as far as getting more people in.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

as for the wiki-theming: i now learned how to do skinning the mediawiki-way. all you need is access to special pages like http://globulation2.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Roundedblue2.css. As you can see here http://globulation2.org/wiki/index.php? ... undedblue2 this can get pretty ugly but feel free to do a good theme out of this or any other of the non-default themes.

so that was the technical part. the question about taste might be a bit more complicated. i like the design (css) as is except for minor issues but i'm open for new proposals.
munkbusiness
Worker
Worker

Post by munkbusiness »

As you say taste is an issue ;) the design for the wiki is not to bad, it is perfect for a wiki after all, the question is if the wiki should be the first thing to meet?

But it sounds good that there are still some plans, also just saw something about a beta 5 thing somewhere.
Zenfur
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Zenfur »

Yo Munkbusiness,

This game was in an impass for a year or so, but lately it became quite living organism. Some devs are stating to code something, to come back, and I am going to start coding as fast as I have a free hours with computer(it's quite difficult lately, I don't have my own cpu at my current home yet), not this week for sure. Mainly people-fans, like me, sit on the irc channel #glob2 in OFTC. As forum is pretty dead, I am glad that some new person came in and started posting, you may always count on my response ;-).

If you can help, there are plenty of things to do if you wish from user things like just playing, giving ideas, creating maps, campaigns, telling other people about globulation, spreading it (as people is the main resource which this game needs), till coding new stuff, implementing ideas, reporting bugs, translating, do some works on wiki or report bugs you noticed.
I keep my thumbs crossed counting on nicktime to repair that nasty desync bug due to which there are many distorts in multiplayer gaming: terrible lags, freezing, crashing, waiting for ready players or crashing all yog server to be down and kick all multiplayers :P Yet it oftenly succeeds to have bugless game. Bugs occurs fortunately mainly on the beginning of the game. If it crashes later, you usually will go on from the autosave.

As you told that you'd like to change some appearance of the game, how do you think about changing the current sign of globulation to this-style "globulation" text as you see in my signature?
Greetings!! ت
munkbusiness
Worker
Worker

Post by munkbusiness »

The banner thingy is not to much of an issue to me, I like it simplistic. Thought it would be great for design to have some artwork as it is currently close to impossible to have pictures or backgrounds of things from the game, using screenshoots is not to interesting when a globule is in so low resolution (a RTS after all).
BTW how does editing the Wikis layot work?