Using WinterDryads terrain+FOW as the default?

For general chat that doesn't fit in any of the other forums below.

Should WinterDryad's terrain and fog of war graphics become the default?

Yes, switch to WinterDryad's terrain + FOW
46%
Yes, but increase their saturation first (brighter colours)
46%
No, keep the current graphics
8%

Total votes: 13

Migi
Worker
Worker

Using WinterDryads terrain+FOW as the default?

Post by Migi »

In the IRC channel we have discussed changing the default terrain and fog of war graphics to WinterDryad's artwork. Most of WinterDryad's artwork is incomplete, but the terrain tileset and fog of war graphics are, and in my opinion they are gorgeous. Just look at it:

You can't see it in the screenshot, but the water actually slowly drifts to the left, making it impossible to deny that this is just in all ways better than the plain blue we currently have. The fog of war also looks a lot better with diagonal lines, they are now straight instead of shaped like a staircase. However, I must admit that art is a matter of taste, and you may argue that the old terrain is better, either because you think this is too realistic for globulation, or because the edges between two terrain types are less clear, or because stones are harder to see (see below) or because you simply like abstract art.

That's why I've made a poll and let the forces of democracy decide. Of course we will eventually implement a feature that lets you choose which artwork you want, but something has to be the default. If at least a 2/3 majority votes for WinterDryad's terrain, we will make that the default and let the user optionally switch back to the old design. If not, what we currently have remains the default and it will be an option to switch to WinterDryad's terrain.

To be clear: this poll is only about WinterDryad's terrain and fog of war graphics, not the buildings, resources or GUI graphics he has made.

DOWNLOAD: If you want to try out these graphics, you can download them here. Just copy the files inside to /data/gfx.

EDIT: As suggested, I modified the poll to add a third option: use them, but first increase the saturation to make them more colourful, as suggested in NanoTech's post. Adding this option means the poll was reset, so you have to vote again now.
Last edited by Migi on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Using WinterDryads terrain+FOW as the default?

Post by Giszmo »

sorry i voted no but i prefere the old terrain. the game is not about realism and a toyish style fits better in my opinion.
as you combined the pull for fow and terrain i did not closely evaluate the fow but i guess i would like to switch for that.
K776
Warrior
Warrior

Post by K776 »

I voted yes. The game graphics haven't changed in years. It would be nice to have a change. Combined with the new maps Zenfur made, it should bring the game back to life for new players.
NanoTech

Post by NanoTech »

I voted yes. The new terrain textures are wonderfully detailed. I miss the old high-saturation look though, so I ran a quick ImageMagick command over WinterDryad's new textures to increase their saturation. I think I like the result.

Code: Select all

mogrify -modulate 90,185,100 terrain*.png
The sand is a bit too orange, but that could be fixed easily enough.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

yes i would be fine with the high saturation version but i doubt a vote works like that. setup a new voting for high saturation version, please.
Migi
Worker
Worker

Post by Migi »

I added NanoTech's suggestion for increased saturation. That reset the poll, so you have to vote again now.

I still vote for WinterDryad's original artwork for two reasons:
1. Terrain is background. It's not supposed to draw attention.
2. These colours have probably been picked very carefully by WinterDryad, considering how detailed these images are. I don't feel good doing a "cheap" modulation with values rounded to the nearest 5 behind the artist's back. You don't hang the mona lisa behind coloured glass, do you? No offense, NanoTech, you're only trying to help, but shouldn't we contact WinterDryad and ask if he can make a more saturated version?
AppleBoy
Site Admin

Post by AppleBoy »

voted to use Winter's original work because I like what he's done with FOW, the water, and sand, however the high saturation version of the land is nice too. Perhaps mix and match?
Winter Dryad
Worker
Worker

Post by Winter Dryad »

happiness happiness you are using the terrain^^

by the way, it's ok that you change the saturation, but before choosing color range or saturation please check that your monitor is ok.

I know it's not possible that everyone must look phisically to the same monitor while voting, but try to do it as accurate as possible, otherwise it will just be a mess.

another very important thing is that when u change the file and save it again do it including the same gamma, otherwise the result on other platforms will just be unpredictable.

I suggest you to use pngcrush to optimize the file so u are sure that the gamma trunc is right.

if you need suggestions let me know^^
NanoTech

Post by NanoTech »

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting using that exact resaturation of the tileset. I just posted it to give an idea of what it would look like with more saturation, and the command in case anyone wanted to replicate it. I'm sure it could be done much better.

Sorry about the gamma, the image was straight from OS X's screenshot feature. Thanks for the pngcrush tip, I'll check it out.

It would be interesting to use different saturations of the terrain in say, the campaign. Maybe someone could think of a storyline for it?
Majid_AlDharrab
Worker
Worker

Post by Majid_AlDharrab »

I'm totally with Nanotech about the high-saturation idea. But I also like migi's idea of letting WinterDryads do it himself since he already gave us this gorgeous look and he will probably be the best one to choose the right level of saturation. I don't get your idea migi about not making the BG attention-drawing .. don't you thinks it's now too dark even for a proper BG? And Leo, still think the terrain isn't toyish enough even after the increased saturation?
Winter Dryad
Worker
Worker

Post by Winter Dryad »

actually there is a good solution that can also make anyone happy

the same tileset can be slightly changed according to virtual season/time of the day.

like:
summer: improved saturation
winter: slightly lowered saturation with a blue color casting
spring: as it is
autumn: slightly higher saturation with red/orange color casting

this is just a simple idea
we can divide them by world zone or territores or anything else

if it s possible to use the single file with all the tileset that i posted instead of the single tile per file it would be much faster to change.

btw, if you are using OSX and you posted a png from that using the adobergb as color space noone using other platforms can actually see what you exactly did^^

try using sRGB, otherwise browsers will interpret the colors wrong and it's very distant from the original result.

I'll try to post the tilesets tonight^^
Winter Dryad
Worker
Worker

Post by Winter Dryad »

here are some samples:

http://www.winterdryad.co.uk/globulatio ... r_Norm.png
http://www.winterdryad.co.uk/globulatio ... r_Summ.png
http://www.winterdryad.co.uk/globulatio ... r_Cold.png
http://www.winterdryad.co.uk/globulatio ... r_Fall.png
http://www.winterdryad.co.uk/globulatio ... r_Dark.png

****sry i forgot the hotlink protection of my site^^
get them here
http://www.winterdryad.co.uk/globulation2/g2.zip

Norm is the normal one

Summ is the one with more saturation

Cold is a variation of saturation and contrast with a color casting

Fall is mainly a variation of the green part

Dark is the dark land of globulation^^
Majid_AlDharrab
Worker
Worker

Post by Majid_AlDharrab »

@Winterdryad:
2 words: AWESOME!! :D
I seem to prefer the summer one, though.
Giszmo
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Giszmo »

seeing these i think about why not bind the terrain type to the map and integrate all those terrains in glob2?
we've been discussing to make it a player-option to use different tile sets. now i think it should be a map-designers option to use those.

as i said i would like to take the summ-version for beta5 but see i am out-voted. as the scripting is further delayed, i doubt we will release beta5 this weekend so some more time for terrain, too.

regards
Winter Dryad
Worker
Worker

Post by Winter Dryad »

i thought there was already an opyion on the mapeditor for the terrain but it wasnt active...